Author Topic: knock knock...  (Read 3197 times)

drunkenmaster

knock knock...
« on: April 16, 2000, 08:08:00 PM »
ahhh, sorry to bother youse all here again, but no takers for this in the chemistry forum, here it is:
if one was to generate NH3 by way of NaOH+Al+28%NH4OH would the H2 being released attatch to the gamma position before the H from the NH3 had the chance?  i am also assuming that the more MeOH you dissolve your bromonated product into the better, no?  with a smaller amount of MeOH, it would seem to fall out of solution as it becomes saturated with NH3.
any ideas would be taken with great thanks.

Rhodium

Re: knock knock...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2000, 09:36:00 AM »
The reason you didn't get an answer to your question is that there is no such reaction as you describe.

drunkenmaster

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2000, 12:28:00 AM »
no such reaction? what do you mean? NaOH+Al produces sodium hydroxide and H2, it really does, and it does carry over NH3(when the rxn takes place in ammonia hydroxide), strong enough to wake the dead.  or is it the gamma position part where i'm wrong?  please explain, if you know something i don't, please enlighten me.  thanks again good sir.

drunkenmaster

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2000, 10:22:00 PM »
pardon me, the above should read NaOH+Al produces ALUMINUM hydroxide and H2, not NaOH. my mistake.

Rhodium

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2000, 12:30:00 AM »
Al reacts with water to produce aluminium hydroxide and H2 (and this reaction is catalyzed by NaOH).

The H2 won't reduce anything without the presence of a catalyst, and any NH3 present won't react more readily with any substrate just because that H2 is evolved.

What compound are you trying to react with what?

drunkenmaster

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2000, 11:19:00 PM »
ahhh, thank you rhodium. that's all i wanted to know. basically the H2 does nothing, bad or good(without catalyst, that is).  that means our little NH3(or H2) generator works like a hot damn.  we figured that the Al would be grabbing all the OH's it could, including the one on the ammonia.  what we weren't sure about is whether or not the H2 floating around in there was going to clog up the beta position on the bromosafrole(i think i said gamma before) before the H from the NH3 could get there.  we're guessing that not having the bromo product in enough MeOH would adversely affect yields.

thank you rhodium, you have made our day, and restored our faith
ps. ever heard of anyone using a propane refrigerator as an NH3 generator?