Author Topic: Purification of Danatured alcohol for use in Al/Hg  (Read 2799 times)

Vibrating_Lights

Purification of Danatured alcohol for use in Al/Hg
« on: January 31, 2002, 12:51:00 AM »
The brand of denature alcohol that is avaiable in swims area contains EtOH MeOH and isoprol butal ketone.  is there a way to remove the ketone easily other than distillation that would render the Oh suitable for reductive amination.. there are worries that the methylamine will  condense with the ketone along with the mdp2p. Heet is just not economical.

PrimoPyro

Re: Purification of Danatured alcohol for use in Al/Hg
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 01:17:00 AM »
What about using the sodium bisulfite or sodium iodide ketone complexes to crash out your ketone in the alcohol? What is the percent of ketone in the alcohol by weight?

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche!

Dr_Sister

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2002, 03:56:00 AM »
its probably minute

terbium

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2002, 04:06:00 AM »
Why not just use pure methanol?

noj

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2002, 04:57:00 AM »
If we are making the kind of qty that fuel line antifreeze is not economical, look towards your fuel depot. Call around. It comes in 55gal drums for like $150 or so, maybe less. Drop by with a truck, and take home to mommy. Pick up some nitro at the same time.

Real men cook naked.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2002, 06:19:00 AM »
Or just order in from the internet.

Vibrating_Lights

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2002, 08:26:00 AM »
Swims just tryin to be resourceful. And learn somethin new
Barrels are remotely suspicious.  Are there many common cars that run on MeOH.
VL_

Rhodium

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2002, 09:12:00 AM »
The methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK) must be removed prior to use in an Al/Hg. It will otherwise react with either your methylamine (forming 2-methylamino-2,4-dimethylpentane, which will contaminate your product if you aren't distilling your freebase), or it will react with the formed MDMA, forming the inactive N-(2,4-dimethyl)pentane derivative, which can be hard to separate from your product.

MIBK has a bp of 117-118°C, but it probably forms an azeotrope with ethanol. According to a source on the net, your mixture is probably 90% ethanol, 9% methanol and 1% MIBK.

I'd say that pre-reducing the alcohol mixture with Al/Hg would turn the ketone into the alcohol, which won't interfere with your reaction.

noj

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2002, 12:44:00 PM »
Barrels of methanol (use that term, not MeOH when calling) are intended for racing cars, not suspicious at all. This applies to Euros also. The class of racing is called Methanol or Pro Methanol class. Do a search for "+racing +methanol" and you will see how common it is. Save on the shipping by picking it up. Shipping fuel is expensive.

Real men cook naked.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2002, 06:24:00 PM »

Shipping fuel is expensive.

But I'm too lazy to go get mine. So shoot me.  :P

PrimoPyro

Rhodium

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2002, 06:28:00 PM »
I dig your style PP.  ;)

Buster_Hymen

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2002, 08:09:00 PM »
>Shipping fuel is expensive.

Fuck yeah it is... I recently discovered that buying a single gallon of an unnamed fuel additive (NOT methanol) for my hobby car would cost me $32. Then they tack on a $20 HAZMAT fee, and then the actual shipping charges, so that one gallon is gonna end up costing me about ~$60!

\\|//
    ô¿ô     -- Free Spitball and give him a wedgie!
    \O/
      '''

PrimoPyro

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2002, 08:13:00 PM »
But think about how many moles are in that gallon. When you look at how much you get when it is reduced, and the value of the end molecule, that extra ~$30 isn't bad at all.

By all means if you can go get it and save yourself some cash, do it, but never halt an acquisition because of price entirely. You got to look at the big picture.

If the end product cannot be translated into a monetary value, that is because the quantity is insignificant. Therefore, you do not need a gallon of this fuel. Gallon purchases are for more evil deeds, so don't tell me that end value is not includable.

PrimoPyro

Buster_Hymen

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2002, 08:50:00 PM »
>When you look at how much you get... the value of the end molecule...

Value? End molecule? I'm burning the shit up in my blown-out hobby car!  ;)

You're right though, when you consider end value, it makes the various production costs seem pretty insignificant.

\\|//
    ô¿ô     -- Free Spitball and give him a wedgie!
    \O/
      '''