Author Topic: amalgamation technique--easy!!  (Read 3552 times)

HCl

amalgamation technique--easy!!
« on: February 18, 2003, 12:00:00 AM »
Swim found that his Al had to be cleaner than the underside of his fourskin for any chance of a successful amalgamation.

Swim found that if his water washed amalgamated Al was a UNIFORM DARK MATT GREY/UNIFORM MATT BLACK, he was in for a sucessfull reduction.

How he does it:

Swim washes his Al turnings in hot MEOH for 5 min.
then cold water to wash off the meoh.

He then adds fresh cold water roughly 3-4 times the physical ammount of Al.
Carefully adds 20g or so of NaOH, useing lots of stiring to mix, and wash the AL for 5min.

If reaction gets too wild, add cold water.

Wash Al 4x with cold water.

Repeat NaOH wash in a clean container, with lots of stiring.

Wash with clean cold water x 4...Swims AL turnings were a uniform beautiful MATT silver color.

swim pours off most of the water and dumps in some HgSO4 with good inital stiring, then let react. (outside, careful with fumes, splashes etc)

Swim lets this reach it's peak ~20-40 min, scopes sum out, and examins it in good light ; If the Al is UNIFORM DARK MATT GREY or UNIFORM MATT BLACK, Swim washes it x 3 cold H2O,  then uses it immeaditly in a reduction.

If the Al is still silver/silvery , patchy grey, or light grey, and it gets used, it fails miserably.
With this partially amalgamated al, swim washes it x4 cold water.

Then he makes a stronger solution of HgSO4 and tries again.
Correctly amalgamated Al rocks, Swim sees his change to an amazing gold color in a reduction!!

Osmium

Me neither. I just wiped off the dust on the...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 01:38:00 PM »
Me neither. I just wiped off the dust on the Al sheet with my shirt before cutting it up and it always worked great.

Maybe you didn't let it amalgamate for long enough in the past? Or maybe your Al has a laquer or wax coating?

terbium

Machine shop sweepings?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 04:04:00 PM »
Or maybe your Al has a laquer or wax coating?

Well, he did say aluminum turnings. Perhaps they are straight from the machine shop and still drenched in cutting oil.

HCl

Swim suspects (machine?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2003, 04:16:00 AM »
Swim suspects (machine?) oil on the Al as well as the oxide. Unless Swims amalgamated Al is the color mentioned above, he gets bad(relitave) yeilds and fuked product. His solution of HgSO4 only lasts two weeks, maybe too much H2SO4 in da mix?... Swim was considering going to The Iodine tinture and some Hg for a few days...has any one had any sucess with that using an aquious?/methonl? amalgamation? Swim wants to see his Al turn gold :)