Author Topic: Os/BS AlHg MeAm Amination writeup  (Read 5473 times)

OcoteaCymbarum

For those who have tried this write-up
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2003, 04:16:00 PM »
I just wanted to compare something.

I've ran MM nitro's before and after adding the strong base solution, it usually turns a dark grey, one time it was all black.

Then I ran RB write-up with the same numbers. I added my strong NaOH solution made fresh and the solution turned totally white, like milk. At first it kind of scared me, but I ended with 46 g anyway. Anybody got the same? Is this the usual color for this write-up? What explains the different colors? The amount of unreacted foil?

I was also wondering about imine formation. Everywhere I look, imine formation requires a pH of 4-5.
In the case of Rb write-up(or even MM) the pH is never taken into account. Anydody know why it works then?

I was thinking of a mixed system of non-polar/water containing the methylamine and ketone for imine formation under strong stirring. The methylamine Hcl is dissolved in water. An equimolar amount of NaOH in water is added to liberate the methylamine. Could that be ph downed to 4-5 with dilute acid? Then mix the ketone in non-polar, mix  everything under a strong stir to mix the 2 phases. After a given time, add this to the Al amalgam. Maybe in the end it would increase the yield slightly, by decreasing the amount of MDP2Pol formed.

I also read amongs posts that someone claimed to get higher yields using RT ketone, instead of freezer cold? Anybody seen the difference in yield?