Author Topic: copper reacting in ether  (Read 1919 times)

Daphuk_up

copper reacting in ether
« on: June 22, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »
SWID had something rather unusual happen.  He has a quantity of diethyl ether, which was used previously for the synthesis of nitroethane.  This ether was triple distilled after reaction, washed several time with hydroxide saturated water, brine, and dH20, dried, and distilled again.

When gassing some of this ether, SWID was suprised to see it turn a sort of bromine brown.  Ok, he thinks, there must still be some ethyl bromide in there switching its halogens with chlorine to produce the color.

He treated this with copper powder, which turned a very dark brown-black, filtered, washed with water, and ended up with some slightly yellow ether to be distilled.

So he took his whole batch of possibly contaminated ether, and carefully added ~1g of copper powder.  Swirled, some very light yellow green coloration.  Hmm, SWID thought, so he added a mL or two of muriatic acid, and on swirling the solution grew dark.

Well, he swirled some more, then he noticed some red brown discoloration at the top of the flask.  Figuring it to be copper powder, he lightly blew into the flask and was shocked to see it was a gas.  A familiar odor permeated the room, and SWID fled for fear of nitrogen dioxide, turning on ventilation fans as he left.

SWID is more than just a little confused.  As near as he can tell, there is absolutly nothing in this mixture of chemicals which could result in the formation of oxides of nitrogen.  The only thing he could think of is that perhaps his muriatic is contaminated with something to prevent its use in drug synthesis.

Anybody have any thoughts about this?  SWID doesn't believe he is "fixing" elemental nitrogen as it were, nor does he think that there is any source of nitrogen in the mix except for the atmosphere.  Very, very odd.

EDIT:  ~50mL of dH2O was added to the flask, and a puff of nitrogen dioxide was expelled.  Upon sitting for a bit, the solution cleared, and two distinct layers were visible: an upper, yellow-green layer (ether) and a lower light blue layer (aqueous).  The blue was ran off, and the ether washed with 6M NaOH, resulting in a lightening of the ethereal layer and a fresh, light blue aqueous layer.  This too was ran off and discarded.  Note that the light blue was quite reminiscent of diluted solutions of copper sulfate.  SWID has nevered observed solution of cupric bromide, and so cannot compare.  Still makes no sense, but if he can get his ether back pure, thats all that matters. 

Anyways, SWID was just relaying this as a bit of a curiosity.   ::)

Nicodem

Get that ethylnitrite out
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 12:01:00 AM »
Ever heard of ethylnitrite? It's a sideproduct in the nitroethane synth and you can't remove it from ether by simple disstilation. From memory I would say its b.p. is 12°C. You can imagine that when you add HCl it hydrolyzes to NO and NO2 (the later gives the red-brown color). NO reacts with oxygen forming NO2 (and more red-brown color). NO2 racts with Cu and this forms the red Cu2O, which with HCl gives the dark green CuCl2- complex.

welt

exuse my ignorance, but what happened to the...
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 01:19:00 AM »
exuse my ignorance, but what happened to the nitrogen when it became CuO2 ? then where did the oxygen go when it became CuCl2 ?

Nicodem

Just follow the reactions
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 01:41:00 AM »
Et-O-NO + HCl -> EtCl + HNO2
2HNO2 <-> N2O3 + H2O
N2O3 <-> NO + NO2
2NO + O2 -> 2NO2     (a red-brown gas soluble in ether)
2Cu + NO2 -> Cu2O + NO     ([edit: Cu2O is] a red solid)
Cu2O + 2HCl -> Cu2Cl2 + H2O    (a light green solid)
Cu2Cl2(s) + 2HCl(aq) -> 2H+ + 2[CuCl2]-         (a dark green solution in water)

I hope that is all you wanted to know, but I'm sure I missed some reactions.

welt

wonderful
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 03:52:00 AM »
Yeah that’s what I was after
I always get annoyed when I don’t know every step of a reaction "I want to know hat happened to the..."
Just one more, why does the NO in line 5 come out as a solid and not a gas which then would react with air to form NO2 again

Daphuk_up

Oh yea...
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 02:36:00 PM »
Heh, thanks Nicodem. :)   SWID just gave himself a big "Duh!" for forgetting about that particular side reaction in the nitroethane synth.  SWID is also thinking there was defintely some ethyl bromide left in the mix as well.  After several washings and filtrations, he was finally able to distill and get good, relatively clean diethyl ether, so he is happy.  :P