Author Topic: msg -> ghb?  (Read 8106 times)

SPISSHAK

Nomenclature question For Rhodium
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2002, 11:17:00 PM »
Rhodium posted this refernce:

Reactant: 4-amino-butyric acid
Products: dihydro-furan-2-one (70%), 4-hydroxy-butyric acid (30%)
Reagents: NaNO2, HCl
Solvent: H2O
Time: 24 hour(s)
Other Conditions: Ambient temperature
Reference: Bull.Soc.Chim.Fr.; 1; 88-94 (1989)

I was wondering is the major product 'dihydro-furan-2-one'
GBL under a different name?
Or am I mistaken.

Rhodium

Yes, that's a GBL synonym.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2002, 11:39:00 PM »
Yes, that's a GBL synonym.

SPISSHAK

Thanks Rhodium.
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2002, 12:19:00 AM »
That's really cool then, so the nitrous acid forms a diazonium salt which then gets hydrolysed to N2 and H2O, and hydroxy-butyric acid.
I not sure I understand the mechanism for this, but that's some neat stuff for sure!

ClearLight

storage..
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2002, 11:32:00 PM »
great way to store your solid ghb... freeze first then vacuum pack it... nice way to handle.. no h20 pickup

Infinite Radiant Light - THKRA

catastrophe

Have a few questions before getting started
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2002, 09:08:00 PM »
SWIM would very much like to try this rxn. As far as the purification of the formed GBL is concerned, when steam distillation is performed will the 30% formed GHB distill over with the GBL? SWIM would assume/hope so, but just wanted to make sure. Obviously the Na-GHB salt won't steam distill but the free compound formed in the reaction will, right? Thanks

Rhodium

If you acidify the solution slightly (pH 4-6), ...
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2002, 09:13:00 PM »
If you acidify the solution slightly (pH 4-6), then all of the GHB will turn into GBL eventually in the distillation and steam distill.

Semtexium

Below is a quote from the following page ...
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2002, 07:12:00 PM »
Below is a quote from the following page

http://www.msgtruth.org/body.htm

Pancreas – glutamate stimulates the pancreas and may cause Type II diabetes, obesity, and insulin resistance.  In individuals with Type 1 diabetes, it may cause an excess of glutamate since 85% of those with Type 1 diabetes have antibodies which attack GAD - the enzyme responsible for converting glutamate into GABA.

How hard would it be to get some of that enzyme and set it to work converting your MSG into GABA...?  MSG is dirt cheap in comparison to purchasing GABA unless the process for conversion takes too much effort...  Any thoughts...?

::)  ;D  :)  :P  ;)     Mean People Suck     ;)  :P  :)  ;D  ::)

Chromic

Producing GABA from MSG
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2002, 10:43:00 PM »
>I wish decarboxylation could only be as simple as adding a dash of MSG to
>flavor up some immobilized Escherichia coli to produce the desired gamma-aminobutyric
>acid... (ie that you didn't need an ion exchange resin to work up the product)

Sorry, it seems as thought my comments were spot on. The enzyme you speak of is in E. coli btw.

Semtexium

So it would be a hassle to go that route then...?
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2002, 12:46:00 AM »
So it would be a hassle to go that route then...?  What would workup involve...?

::)  ;D  :)  :P  ;)     Mean People Suck     ;)  :P  :)  ;D  ::)

Chromic

Purifying amino acods
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2002, 05:03:00 AM »
Amino acids are hard to purify as they have both an amino group and an carboxylic acid group. They aren't easily purified by acid/base base techniques. One common method, and one used in the reference I found the information of GAD existing in E. coli mentioned the use of an ion-exchange resin. I suppose if you had isolated GAD you would not need to purify it further. Unfortunately the purified enzyme would likely cost a fortune.

CainTwister

Closed system?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2003, 09:59:00 PM »
If the NxOy gases produced were bubbled back through the GABA + H2O + Na+ + H3O+ + CL- + NO3- reaction solution in a closed system...

Fit at the mouth of a 1 liter flask a pressure-driven, accordian style bladder/gas balloon. When the volume of gas increases pressure, a pressure valve opens, the bladder deflates, and the volume of gas is directed via a glass tube down into and bubbled through the solution.

The piped gases would stir the reaction solution and perhaps replenish the reaction with H3O+ via H2O(g) returning and ionizing with dissolved NxOy gasses.

External cooling would be even more important with this setup.

Wouldn't this make the reaction more "closet," or at least "bathroom," friendly? Does such a piece of equip. exist? Would it help speed up the reaction or require less NaNO2?

Or, will it hinder GBL production?