Author Topic: DXM, pseudoephedrine, and acetaminophen  (Read 2113 times)

ning

DXM, pseudoephedrine, and acetaminophen
« on: October 24, 2003, 06:16:00 PM »
As a purely theoretical matter, one of ning's slightly deranged acquaintances wanted to separate a cough syrup into these three components. Apparently an acid-base extraction will remove DXM from acetaminophen, but what of the pseudoephedrine? Ning has no idea about its behavior as compared with DXM. Any ideas, bees?

Ps. There's a lot of p-eph in cough syrup. Quite a lot. And Ning supposes much fewer diluents. Just a thought.

adroit_synth

DXM only cough syrup
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 08:04:00 PM »
There are several cough syrups with only Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide as the active ingredient. At least in SWIM's area, there are more than 4 OTC brand names. It is much easier to extract the DXM if it is the only amine present.

Flippie

DXM extraction
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 08:36:00 PM »
I quote from Erowid DXM vault

"Do NOT try this extraction procedure with cough syrups or formulations containing acetaminophen/paracetamol, pseudoephedrine, other decongestants, or antihistamines. Decongestants and antihistamines are usually alkaloids and will end up in the final product; as for acetaminophen, I'm not convinced yet of the safety of the final product."

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm.shtml

Be safe

a3d0a3m

Dexalone and Robo Cough Caps
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 08:39:00 PM »
Even better, there are two new products out: Dexalone and Robotussin Cough Caps, both of which contain ONLY dextromethorphan in capsule form. Imo it's much easier (but slightly more expensive) to choke down 20 sweet tasting capsules than 4oz of horrible cough syrup.

Blind_Angel

almost in the same topic, some day ago i was...
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2003, 06:27:00 AM »
almost in the same topic, some day ago i was wondering i was i would be able to separate these 3 constituant from the pill form of this medication. Acetaminophen is easy to clear with water. But separating p-Ephedrine and DXM would be another thing...

ning

exactly...
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 04:08:00 AM »
Ning has given some serious thought of late to acetaminophen as a more useful precursor than it is given credit to be. So ning has learned something about the stuff. The phenol group would probably salt with NaOH used to basify the mix, and that makes it much more soluble. Swin recrystallized some nice hydrolyzed acetaminophen crystals taking advantage of this property. (10 seconds in the microwave, bay-bee...)

Ning wonders if dxm and pe will base at different pHs? With careful control, it should be easy to do.
In the area ning's demented friend lives, 12oz of the pseudo-laced cocktail goes for about 5 us dollars. Ning's friend thinks that it would be best to get double benefits for the money spent, by extracting both alkaloids.
30mg pe / 5mL of syrup, if ning remembers correctly.

Jubrail

Not trying to be an ass but...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 07:48:00 AM »
For one, I would extract from pills, which you can find pseudo and DXM together sans acetaminophen.  If you still want to go ahead with yours, you really don't need any help here.  What you need is a Merck, Zubrick and some of the huge amounts of info on extracting pseudo.  It's simple enough on a cheap enough product to experiment.  You seem to know enough about chem to figure this one out on your own.

ning

I wish....
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 03:20:00 PM »
But thanks for the props...
All of the sugestions are good, ning's pal, being a cheap bastard, just wants the cheapest DXM/pseudo that s/he can get...

Get what ya pay for, I guess. ;D

xbnmx

A Quick Question
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 04:29:00 AM »

ning

funny you should ask...
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 06:12:00 PM »
I have a thread on just that subject...why DOB/DOC, of course...

Or just quinone, for all the wacker bees.