Author Topic: Darzen condensation for halobenzaldehydes  (Read 1960 times)

psyx7

Darzen condensation for halobenzaldehydes
« on: January 23, 2004, 04:28:00 AM »
Will the Darzen condensation work with halogenated benzaldehydes, or would the halogen interfere with the rxn?

ie. would 4-bromo-2,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde + 2-ClPrOOMe give 4-br-2,5-dmp2p? Or is that just wishful thinking?  ::)

Thanks in advance!
-psyx

Rhodium

Green Light
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 06:15:00 PM »
Mechanistically speaking, there would be no problems associated with using a substituted aryl halide as substrate. The reaction would be slower than that with p-dimethoxybenzene itself (due to the deactivating effect of the halide) but it would be fater than with benzene itself (due to the activating effects of the methoxy groups).

So - go ahead, and please report your results.

Nicodem

The reaction would be slower than that with...
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 09:05:00 PM »
The reaction would be slower than that with p-dimethoxybenzene itself (due to the deactivating effect of the halide) but it would be fater than with benzene itself (due to the activating effects of the methoxy groups).

Rhodium, I don’t agree with that. According to A guidebook to mechanism in organic chemistry. (Peter Sykes, 6th edition): “…the influence of electronic affects alone [on the reactivity of benzaldehides toward the nucleophiles] may be seen in the series of compounds ( p-X-C6H4-CHO ).
Relative rates: X= NO2 > H > MeO.”

Then it goes on explaining how electronwithdrawing groups on the bezaldehide increase the electrophilicity of the carbonyl group, while the electrondonating groups (R-O- etc.) reduce it. Therefore a halogen para to the aldehido group increase its reactivity toward nucleophiles while the methoxies reduce it.
As an example, here are the cianohydrine formation equilibrium constants (K) for the three above-mentioned benzaldehides:
p-NO2-C6H4-CHO     K=1420
C6H5-CHO            K=210
p-MeO-C6H4-CHO      K=32
Well, luckily the Darzen rxn is not as reversible as cianohydrine rxn.

Psyx, god luck with your synt.

Rhodium

Out of my mind. Back in a few minutes.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »
You are fully correct Nicodem, I had a brain outage and imagined the wrong mechanism. Sorry for my misinformation.