Author Topic: Povidone-I2  (Read 2370 times)

SmelliumII

Povidone-I2
« on: February 01, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »
Does anyone see a problem with doing a standard tincture extraction of I2-povidone & following up with TCE wash to remove the povidone?  It seems to me to be the best way for SWISII to deal with this shit.

livid

no
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »
that wont work. sublimenation will. go to rhodiums site and read.

chemisfun

not in Oz
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 12:25:00 AM »
swims experience with Iodine-povidone available down under is it doesn't work. The shit actually started to burn rather than sublime. The're putting shit in now I tell you!

tarzan2k4

sublimation of iodine from povidone
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »
How long does it take to "boil down" the povidone-iodine solution?  5-6hrs?
How long to wait before it can sublime?
Are the vapors from the pov-Iod mixture harmful during the boil process?

Master_Alchemist

I2 Fumes!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »
IMHO,
It might be a good idea to use a gas mask when boiling large amounts of I2/Pov.
I would not wish I2 fumes upon my worst enemy...ok maybe i would, but I like my thyroid gland the way it is.
You should value yours too, so buy a damn mask  :P
Swim has no idea how long it takes to sublime all available I2, coz swim has never had to resort to such desperate measures. I2crystals ARE available in OZ for those that use there heads..and hands!

livid

good reason for providone
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 10:03:00 PM »
I2 is watched in swims neiborhood. it is not on the shelf as of aug. 2003. It is behind the counter. In the big cities, you need a drivers licence. providone  I2 however, is on the shelf in large quantities. most cooks dont know what they are doing, or why they are doing it. They just copy what they see other people doing. In conclusion, If a bee could sucsessfully subliminate I2 from providone solution, it would bee well worth it.

mr_pyrex

Well the amount of elemental I2 available from
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 12:43:00 AM »
Well the amount of elemental I2 available from pov.I is minute (around 1%) compared to 5 or 7%, so unless you've got deep pockets I would do the math before ran out and bought a bunch.  At least around here the pov. I goes for around $13.00 per 16 fl oz, and quite a few bottles will be needed to get a decent amount.  Even the I2 you get at the grocery store is many times higher in concentration of I2 then pov. I.  Good Luck.  Pyrex out of extraction techniques ;-)