Author Topic: Adding the methylenedioxy group  (Read 3306 times)

Flip

Adding the methylenedioxy group
« on: September 09, 2002, 07:51:00 AM »

Adding the methylenedioxy group
Enzymatic dioxygenation of aromatics by Pseudomonas putida

Toluene ----> Toluene-cis-1,2-dihydrodiol
Wackett LP, Kwart LD, Gibson DT Biochemistry (1988) 27(4): 1360-7.

Benzene ----> cis-Dihydrobenzenediol
Gibson DT, Cardini GE, Maseles FC, Kallio RE Biochemistry (1970) 9 (7): 1631-5

Styrene ----> 3-Ethenyl-cis-1,2-dihydroxycyclohexa-3,5-diene
Hudlicky T, Boros EE, Boros CH Tetrahedron: Asymmetry (1993) 4: 1365.

Here are three different references I dug up concerning aromatic dioxygenation.  Taking the toulene molecule ,for example, this dihydrodiol will easily become 3-methylcatechol, and anyone who has looked over the catechol>safrole synths can see that you are a hop, skip and a jump away from a methylenedioxy group.  This very well may be a viable reagent here for the selective addition of methylenedioxy groups via dioxygenation.

I believe this would make P2P > MDP2P and a few other things possible, but i'm not sure.  But the thought that one could make MD-benzene rings from benzene rings holds infinite promise, and I saw this potential immediately.

I'm not very familiar with enzymatic reagents though, so I thought I would throw this out for opinions.  I've been researching enzyme chemistry all night, and this is the best reaction I found so I figured i'd share.

As far as the availiability and handling concerns of Pseudomonas putida your guesses are as good as mine, I would look into it further but I am oh-so-burnt out and i'm finally going to bed.  Night all.

Flip

Conclusion /nm./: the place where you got tired of thinking.

GC_MS

pseudomonas
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2002, 08:04:00 AM »
Pseudomonas...... SWiM is unfamiliar with Pseudomonas putida, but it's nephew aeruginosa has quite a name. Pseudomonas species is typically found in spoiled food. If Pseudomonas putida is closely related to aeruginosa, you can keep them. SWiM even doesn't want them if they give a 100% yield. Far too dangerous in standard lab setups!

WOMAN.ZIP: Great Shareware, but be careful of viruses...

Flip

Pseudomonas putida
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2002, 10:56:00 AM »
Apparently the Hive is short on microbiologists today.

While their are undoubtedly some handling concerns, it's most likely for the safety of the enzyme.  They use this stuff to clean up oil spills, because it can metabolized hydrocarbons.  That means that it's cheap, can come in bulk, and is cool to dump in the ocean.  It's not a pathogen or anything!  Scientists use this bacteria to do toxicity tests on various chemicals by monitoring the cell growth.  Check some MSDS data sheets, you'll see it on there.  And so this is also a substance that can be purchased commercially and is not conspicuous.

This synth is feasable, and shouldn't be dangerous at all.  Anyone who can dig up those ref's can make a methylene-dioxy analouge of just about ANY aromatic substance.  No joke, someone might want to order some of this stuff and read up on those ref's.

I mean, of course if being able to selectively dioxygenate and ultimately "methylenedioxygenate" aromatic compounds sounds interesting to you guys.

Might at least be worth the reading for the ref's.  I would sure as hell read them if I could get them.

Flip

GC_MS

bacteria
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2002, 11:12:00 AM »
If you ever would have conducted experiments with bacteria, then you know that even a species as innocent as E coli requires special handling. Your lab has to be sterile, your reaction vessel has to be sterile, you'll need to buy liters of detol, and what you certainly shouldn't forget: you can contaminate sources with Pseudomonas and cause a local disaster. Some bacteria indeed are harmless to human beings. Until they in some way or another end up in the gastro-intestinal system, that is. The only micro-organism that is relatively safe to toy with is ordinary baker's yeast.

Flip

Ergot
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2002, 11:29:00 AM »
Are you telling me that this is not feasable due to the handling?  What about the numerous bees who are already set up to culture ergot for LSD synths?  All they would have to do is order the enzyme.

I don't believe that there has been any other methods discussed at any time previously on the Hive about adding the methylenedioxy function to substitued aromatic rings, and with selectivity at that.  At least to me this seems unprecedented.

I'm talking about the potential for NEW drugs.  Things that may not have been possible before.

The use of bacteria/enzymes is not unfamiliar to the clandestine world.  I would imagine that there are bees out there fully prepared to pull this off.

I only hope I will not have to drop to my knees and beg for these references when the general synthetic value of them is so incredibly obvious. :P

No doubt all bacteria must be carefully cultured/stored/handled, but it may well be of use to the general community here and may very well lead to the development of new drugs.

Flip

Flip

Biphenyl Dioxygenase 3,4- postition hydroxylation
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2002, 11:42:00 AM »
A.1 Ring-hydroxylating dioxygenases

The NAD(P)H-dependent bacterial dioxygenases are multi-component enzyme systems (Cerniglia, 1992), each containing 2 to 4 subunits, depending on the substrate and the source of the enzyme. Each subunit may contain 1 to 2 Fe as the prosthetic group. The subunits serve two main functions: (a) electron transfer from the reducing equivalent NAD(P)H; and (b) hydroxylation or enzymatic. These enzymes are responsible for the initial cis dihydroxylation of an aromatic compound to form a cis-dihydrodiol. This reaction breaks up the aromaticity in the product.

There are three structurally distinct groups of ring-hydroxylating dioxygenases. In the most common group 1, the system is composed of 4 subunits. Subunit I is a flavoprotein reductase. Subunit II is a [2Fe-2S] ferredoxin. These two subunits form the electron transfer component. Subunits & form the catalytic hydroxylase component which is also known as the iron sulfur protein (ISP). The overheads show the organization of various subunits in naphthalene dioxygenase (from Cerniglia, 1992) and toluene dioxygenase (Zylstra & Gibson, 1991). The multicomponent enzyme system of naphthalene dioxygenase is very similar to that of benzene or toluene dioxygenases. There is an electron transfer between these proteins, resulting in movement of the reducing equivalents from NAD(P)H to the terminal dioxygenase.

Group 1 ring-hydroxylating dioxygenases are represented by benzene dioxygenase, toluene dioxygenase, biphenyl dioxygenase and naphthalene dioxygenase. It is believed that they also attack the higher polycylic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) such as phenanthrene, anthracene and benz[a]anthracene, etc. The transformation of some of these compounds into their corresponding cis-dihydrodiols is shown in the overhead. Note that except for benzene which does not possess any other substituent groups on the aromatic ring, hydroxylation occurs right next to a carbon substituent group attached to the ring in all cases. Again, there are exceptions. For example, biphenyl dioxygenases can hydroxylate at the 3,4- positions.

Group 2 ring-hydroxylating dioxygenases are represented by benzoate and toluate dioxygenases, each containing 3 subunits. Subunit 1 mediates electron transfer from NAD(P)H to the hydroxylase, while subunits & form the catalytic hydroxylase ISP component. In reactions of this type (eg. with benzoic acid), one hydroxyl group goes to the carbon bearing the carboxylate substituent, while the other goes to the adjacent carbon, ie. positions 1 & 2 are being hydroxylated. This enzyme can accommodate other substituent groups such as sulphonate, (-SO3) or nitro (-NO2) groups.

Group 3 ring-hydroxylating dioxygenases are typified by phthalate dioxygenase which contains 2 subunits. One serves electron transfer function while the other serves the hydroxylase function. This enzyme hydroxylates at positions 4 & 5 of the phthalate ring, and this pattern is very different from the other hydroxylating dioxygenases.

The substrate specificity of ring-hydroxylating dioxygenases is determined by the terminal iron-sulfur proteins or hydroxylases. This was shown in the elegant studies of Furukawa's group using hybrid toluene/biphenyl dioxygenases by mixing components from toluene dioxygenase of Pseudomonas putida F1 and from biphenyl dioxygenase of Pseudomonas pseudoalcaligenes KF707 (described in Ensley, 1994). Replacing both the small and large subunits of the biphenyl dioxygenase with those of toluene hydroxylase led to a hybrid enzyme with specificity for toluene. Replacing only the large subunit of the biphenyl dioxygenase with that of toluene dioxygenase led to a hybrid enzyme with specificity for both biphenyl and toluene. Furthermore, both types of hybrid enzymes now exhibit the ability to oxidize trichloroethylene (TCE). This latter finding was completely unexpected, but a pleasant surprise, because TCE is one of the most important pollutants in groundwater.

Dihydrodiol dehydrogenases

cis-Dihydrodiols produced from ring-hydroxylating dioxygenases are converted by dihydrodiol dehydrogenases to catechols. This step removes 2 H's from the cis-dihydrodiol to restore the aromatic nature of the parent ring and produce a dihydroxy derivative. The reaction has a requirement for NAD, ie. the NADH used in the hydroxylating reaction is regenerated. Now, the product is ready for the ring-cleaving type of dioxygenase attack. Several dihydrodiol dehydrogenases have been characterized. Most are composed of tetramers of identical subunits. They are members of the short-chain-alcohol/polyol dehydrogenase superfamily of enzymes which differ from the zinc-containing alcohol dehydrogenases. Note that ortho-substituted products derived from group 2 hydroxylating dioxygenases (eg. from benzoate dioxgenase) are generally unstable, and they transform spontaneously into catechol. Therefore, there is no regeneration of NADH for compounds taking this metabolic route.

Well, there you have it.  Proof.  Now I need to dig up another ref. citation for a biphenyl dioxygenase.  The point is that a (3,4- methylenedioxy) group IS obtainable and can be added to the a substitued aromatic ring.

Flip

GC_MS

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 12:17:00 PM »
Are you telling me that this is not feasable due to the handling? What about the numerous bees who are already set up to culture ergot for LSD synths? All they would have to do is order the enzyme.

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I try to tell you is that playing around with bacteria requires special measures, unless you like to feel sick very often and want to expose your environment to potential epidemics. Don't forget, bacteria adapt very easily... chemicals form a threat when they are used or wrongly stored, bacteria from a permanent threat.

Flip

Some nice pictures from the boys at Sigma-Aldrich
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2002, 12:25:00 PM »

There are ways to go about this with the other enzymes as well, which could change the rules of methylenedioxy precursors also.  How about MDMA starting from iodobromobenzene, toulene, benzene, and the rest of the broad spectrum of substitued aromatic precursors which would apply?

Were talking about a high degree of enantioselectivity that can be manipulated by simply finding the right strain.

Rhodium

How do you go back from the formed ...
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2002, 12:40:00 PM »
How do you go back from the formed dihydroxy-cyclohexadien to a benzene (catechol) ring again?

Flip

More bacteria
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2002, 12:48:00 PM »
The dihydrodiol can be enzymatically dehydrogenated to restore aromacity.

So did I do enough homework to get someone to dig up the ref's for me?

yellium

Re: I believe this would make P2P > MDP2P and ...
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2002, 02:12:00 PM »

I believe this would make P2P > MDP2P and a few other things possible, but i'm not sure.

vs

I'm talking about the potential for NEW drugs.  Things that may not have been possible before.

What's new about amphetamine/meth/MDA/MDMA?

foxy2

that transformation is VERY conmmon, the only ...
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2002, 06:37:00 PM »
that transformation is VERY conmmon, the only problem is the bacteria will eat the catechol also

I know someone who is working with those bugz

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Flip

Read up
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2002, 06:49:00 PM »
Perhaps you do not recognize high the enantioselectivity of this reaction and it's potential for creating new methylenedioxy analogues of a myriad of active compounds, and the potential to control this selectivity through hybridization of the enzymatic reagent.
As well as expand the range of precursors for the synthesis of methylenedioxy componds.

You can basically make up your own rules. 

Flip

PrimoPyro

Dehydrogenation
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2002, 06:53:00 PM »
Simple dehydrogenation would either restore aromaticity directly, or would produce the ortho-benzodioxole containing two C=O groups, which can be reduced to catechol.

Will perform sexual favors for females in exchange for 1,2-dimethylaziridine. PM for details.

Flip

Toulene --> Catechol
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2002, 05:31:00 AM »
Toulene could also be used as a precursor to catechol by oxidation of the alkyl side chain, via a mono-oxygenase to benzoate which is subsequently transformed to catechol, because the COOH is removed by decarboxylation in a subsequent dioxygenase reaction, and catechol would be formed.

Flip

Also
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2002, 05:41:00 AM »
>unless you like to feel sick very often and want to expose your environment to potential epidemics

You must have missed the part where I said these enzymes are non-pathogenic.

>the only problem is the bacteria will eat the catechol also

Yeah, depending on the strain and conditions, you're right.  Thats why anyone attempting this would need the references to set up the right parameters.  If I didn't already have a pet project that was costing me quite a bit already I would be interested in pursuing it.  They use this stuff to clean up oil spills because the enzyme can metabolize aromatic hydrocarbons.  In other words they'll eat that catechol for breakfast if they are not controlled correctly.

Still I found all of this quite fascinating and I am expanding my research interests to include this feild as well.

Flip

Chromic

Hmm?
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2002, 07:41:00 AM »
According to the pictures, it seems that you lose the aromaticity of the benzene ring. I don't see how you'd get 4-methyl-1,3-benzodioxole, even after adding a methylene group. Also how did you plan to go to the amine, oxidize the methyl group to a benzaldehyde?

Eugenol looks like a far more favorable starting point. Interesting read though.

foxy2

genetic engineering is the only way IMHO to do ...
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2002, 04:53:00 PM »
genetic engineering is the only way IMHO to do tghis in real life.

You need to remove the gene's that allow it to degrade the catechol further.

Whoever is spreading the bacterial fear mongering needs to take a chill pill.  Bacteria are everywhere, they are our friends.

Read and Listen!!! 

http://www.zmag.org/chomsky/index.cfm

Flip

Chromic
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2002, 10:07:00 PM »
Yes of course this was posted to be a strictly novel idea when it comes to precursors, but in terms of creating analogues it may have some fascinating applications.

The aromatic ring is restored by a dehydrogenase, which i believe is documented in the literature, so once those hydrogens are gone of course the bonds rejoin the resonance structure.

As far as the methyl group, I was thinking, as I outlined above, of the use of a monooxygenase to convert the methyl-benzene into benzoate which according to literature would be decarboxylated into catechol upon reaction with the dioxygenase as described in the references.  Basically it's just a way to get catechol from benzene, and the selectivity of this to other functional groups can be modified by genetic engineering to facilitate any purpose.

Fortunately in this case you would not have to be a geneticist, as the different strains engineered and their differing selectivities are already both documented in literature and commercially availiable.

This reaction is functional and selective even in the presence of long alkyl chains, nitrogen groups, etc.  So were talking about something great for making analouges.

Although microbio and biochem are not hot topics of drug making, they have recently caught my attention, expecially considering the bacterial agents that have been developed in Iraq, this feild of study will become quite a hot industry in the coming years.  Biochemist is already ranked as the top job in the US considering overall statistics.

I'm just getting an early start, but I was surprised to find nifty applications to drug synthesis as well.

Flip