Author Topic: soapy dope  (Read 2368 times)

the_wasper

soapy dope
« on: August 03, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »
}I thought{ I was given a quart jar that appeared to have based post rxn fluid with np on top (coleman I think). Upon opening the jar I noticed a very slippery film which was very difficult to wash off.After opening the jar a very destinct odor was noticed.At first I thought it was bar soap then it hit me... it smells like Tide or some other washing powder. Is there anything I can do to wash this shit out or should I just flush it down the drain?

mr_pyrex

You got what you thought
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 04:16:00 PM »
Your description 'a soapy feeling that is very difficult to wash off' is exactly what sodium hydroxide mixed with water (a basic solution, maybe 13+) feels like and is usually described as....which would lead me to believe that you have indeed aquired what you thought.  Which is a non-aqueous solvent and based solution in a container together...so to extract anything that might be suspended within the layers you'd want to check the ph of the aqueous layer and make sure it is 13+, if so then shake gently and then recover the solvent layer, dry it and then gas it.
  If there is anything present it will precipitate out once you gas the solvent.  Good Luck.  Pyrex out of layers to process ;-)

CharlieBigpotato

feelings worth noting:
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »
over basing or over acidification is some of the easiest signs we will ever hope to see.

wouldn't hurt to familiarize one's self with this phenomena; for cheap; beefore embarking on such a risky adventure.

you could always make salt out of the problem, by nuetralizing the excess enthusiasm that occurred along the line.

dry alcohol at this juncture, will seperate the men from the boys