Author Topic: Using Surgical Spirit as denatured  (Read 2337 times)

uktrials

Using Surgical Spirit as denatured
« on: April 02, 2004, 09:04:00 AM »
Swim has a question for all beez that might have tried this:-

Hear in the U.K. it is very hard to obtain a suitable denatured Alc in large quantities due to licensing laws etc. Swim has pondered on what to do as Alc is paramount in phed extraction, plus it is also very easy to evaporate. Whilst browsing the shelves of chemists he noticed two types of Alc being sold:-

Mentholated Spirits – This was pink and full of crap to prevent it being drunk by alcoholics.

Surgical Spirits – This was not pink and full of crap, but contained a small amount of aromatic oil.

Through trial and error swim realised that ‘Meths’ was a definite no-go after he ruined a 10g phed extraction totally beyond repair

When ‘Surgical Spirit’ was used he found it to extract phed exceptionally clean, but that the 5% aromatic oil was left on top of the crystals. Swim has gently boiled the spirit for a very short period (to avoid excess evaporation) every time and skimmed the top patchy layer of oil away.

Swim would like to know if this small amount of oil would affect the LWR (36hrs) in a noticeable negative way.

::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

gluecifer69

Methylated Spirits=Denatured Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 01:12:00 PM »
Methylated spirits and denatured alky are one in the same.  Denatured alcohol is simply ethyl alcohol with some methanol added so it can't be used as cheap drinking substitute.

As for the aromatic oils, swim has no experience, but believes that they could hinder the reaction or at least leave you with strange tasting gear.  This is only an opinion.

Ganzas2003

hey
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 02:06:00 PM »
hey glue allow me to discord with this

"Methylated spirits and denatured alky are one in the same.Denatured alcohol is simply ethyl alcohol with some methanol added so it can't be used as cheap drinking substitute."

this is only true where u live and maybe in other places.

here denaturated alcool ISN'T just etanol+metanol...its a blue shit composed from 90% etanol+6% Metanol+2% petroleum.

i only use it to clean MBRP has a cheap acetone alternative.

of course anybody here can buy etanol(96% or 70%) easily without anykind of problems since its sold in supermarket or pharmacies...  metanol is cheaper than etanol but acetone is much more expensive than both these 2.

what the hell means spirits anyway? ::)

peace

gluecifer69

ooops
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »
Thanx for the correction Ganzas!   Should have noted that what swim was referring to was in the US. 

Didn't mean to misinform, but in my area denatured alcohol is clear. :-[

BTW, Ganzas methylated spirits are great for MBRP cleaning, but swim found even better results with a 70/30 mix with acetone being 70% and 30% denatured. 

Using denatured alone always left swim with a lot of glue, resulting in an acetone wash to "eat" the glue. :)

Ganzas2003

yes
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 05:58:00 AM »
i mix them both too...and the very final cleaning i use only acetone coz i dont trust the mix anymore  ;)  course its reused for the next time. i recycle a lot but the final cleaning should be with some sweet fresh solvent  ;)