Author Topic: 1 propoxy 2 propanol  (Read 3751 times)

Buckshot

1 propoxy 2 propanol
« on: June 01, 2004, 06:31:00 AM »
Hey team, I'm wanting to know if "1-propoxy 2-propanol" is useful for anything. Can it be converted to P2P?
I found an easy source for it.

TFSE is comming up with nothing for me
Buckshot

ApprenticeCook

you want to convert this to p2p??? right....
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 06:41:00 AM »
you want to convert this to p2p??? right....
tfse would come up with nothing if it is nothing...

i dont see how you could use it to make anything usefull for synth.
Sorry bud, if you find an easy source it usually means there is not a market for diversion.

Buckshot

well
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 06:45:00 AM »
I assumed since my search came up with nothing, no one tried it, or mentioned it.
Seriously wouldn't over the years of the hive someone have asked about 1 propoxy 2 propanal? I expected some post saying its useful or not. I find it difficult to believe no has asked about it before here. Im never the first.
Buck

Barium

Duh
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »
At least you posted in the right forum...

Seriously wouldn't over the years of the hive someone have asked about 1 propoxy 2 propanal? I expected some post saying its useful or not. I find it difficult to believe no has asked about it before here.

No hits in TFSE can be a good indicator in times like this, that no you can't make P2P of it.

ning

well
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »
it's a good polar solvent that boils around 140 C, that's handy sometimes. Perhaps it could be used for decarboxylating amino acids or something.

If one were to alkylate benzene with this compound and hydrolyze the result, they would have alpha-methyl styrene, which can be epoxidized and rearranged to give P2P. Feel like research?

There seems to be a chance that the material could be dehydrated to either propionaldehyde (good for opiates) or allyl alcohol. Formation of acetone would be an annoying side reaction. Good luck!

carbocation

In one post you say propanol and anotherĀ ...
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 10:24:00 AM »
In one post you say propanol and another propanal- which is it? they are v different! Neither could be used for P2P though...

Buckshot

my bad
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 10:27:00 AM »
my bad on that one it's "propanol" not propanal