Author Topic: update: provisional rules PLEASE READ  (Read 35848 times)

Offline spice

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • Investigate it
update: provisional rules PLEASE READ
« on: June 19, 2020, 06:48:58 PM »
In the name of peace-

"No political discourse besides drug policy, not even in the den, for the sake of peace in the forum community".

Breaking this rule will relegate said post to 'vacuous posts' at best, and possibly deletion, depending on the degree
of inflammatory content.

This is a peaceful community, and we want it to remain so. Please keep your political arguments to yourself, they serve no constructive purpose to this sites mission.

This is a temporary rule imposed until Vesp can make the final decision.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:33:50 AM by spice »
Real bees just hear the buzzing and it doesn´t ever stop. Ever.

Offline carl

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • circular pastry filled with hazelnut crime
Re: update: provisional rules PLEASE READ
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 11:29:08 AM »
A little addendum: this does of course mean recent political topics predominantly.
But it also includes historical political topics.
Just the two big things people will have greatly differing opinions and we really don't want that here.

The exception is, and that should be clearly of course, is drug politics.
But keep it focused on the drug aspect.

Its better this way we don't lose anything of value.
But in return we get more peace and less reasons to run into each other for stupid differences in political opinions.
It is probably not fun for most, it gets very quickly borderline serious, as most people react somewhat personally offended if their political point of view is attacked.
No need for such stupid reasons to fight about, with the worst outcome being people starting to lose respect for each other because they are of a different opinion, about a least important thing.
That could possibly break even our covalent bonding as a community! :o

(yes I know I am guilty here too... ::))
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 11:50:57 AM by carl »
I would suggest that you guys share information like it was the last day on Earth.  This information slowdown is all because of all that dumb unwillingness to share.  That is where the DEA is winning.  There goal is you not talking to each other.  Let the information flow.  I  promise we will always be 2 steps ahead of DEA chemists if we just keep sharing information

Offline TryItYoullLikeIt

• Psycho Knot
  • Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 06:08:19 PM »
This place should be like a bar - no religion, no politics.
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty, and, to impress him, takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Offline maker

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 09:22:22 PM »
I guess I do not know which bar you go to.
The ones in my part of the world do not have any limits about what is talked about.
Some problems do arise from differing views but??

Offline spice

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • Investigate it
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 09:38:47 PM »
Then that's the place to go to discuss politics, not here.

Offline embezzler

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
It is an effort to log in to this forum since data stealing software wants to run Javascript but now that I have been able to get on and read the state of things I wholeheartedly agree with this rule(s). A simple reason is that I couldn't give a shit about any of your political or religious beliefs. They might be important to you, but they are not to me. :P Likewise my opinion on your beliefs should be inconsequential to you. There are plenty other places to discuss them. At least for now.

Cancel Culture sucks and so do safe spaces. They are for the emotionally and mentally fragile. That personality type isn't suited to this hobby in the long term. This rewards a certain level of autonomy particularly when it comes to thought. Reality is often brutal and needs to be met head on, it will be still there if you ignore it.

The internet these days is toxic. People believe that they shouldn't have to be exposed to alternative view-points. Nobody is saying you have to agree with anything someone else says. Diversity of opinion is important for a holistic view of things. Hearing things you don't like is good for you.

I don't know where "cancel culture" ends. With nobody saying anything, or with everybody only saying the same thing. It's hard to say which would be worse.
I guess humour will be the first martyr in our ongoing war with human nature. Perhaps I am fortunate that in the real world the adults don't seem to be so sensitive and haven't forgotten how to tell someone to just fuck off and then ignore them. Heterogeneity of cultures is important and likely be eroded at an alarming rate like minority languages. In the future we won’t need archaeologists or historians the narrative will trump discovery and neither require nor allow interpretation.

I do see the over-socialized bullshit-jobs crowd in the workplace aiming to socially engineer demographics but this is far from successful. All you have to do is look at the C-suite staff of fortune 500 companies to know how serious all of this really is taken  ::)  I wonder is this because people never read A Clockwork Orange or because the nuances of imposition of mechanical will on biological entities was lost on them. The school curriculum must totally suck now.

Systems biology is emergent in nature. There is wisdom in that.

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream...

Offline aes256

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 08:27:27 AM »
This place should be like a bar - no religion, no politics.

Pretty sure bars and pubs have been the de facto default place to openly arm-chair philosophize at length about religion and politics, with your felow hoomans, since.. bars and pubs have been around?  ;)
Quote from: Eleusis
However, I had serious misgivings about sharing because my quest was one for knowledge and experience while, I knew, for most others it would be for purely economic reasons.

Quote from: Orange
you can always dont make things.
but u cant always make things happen.

Offline aes256

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 08:35:34 AM »
Quote from: embezzler
Cancel Culture sucks and so do safe spaces.

You do realize that these provisional rules effectively create a safe space, right?  ;D

The rules foster a harmonious, focused community free from dissenting views that would otherwise chip away at the social fabric that binds its members. You might see it differently, but a rose by any other name..

I like the idea of a 'safe' space - it cuts down on a lot of bullshit and keeps a lid on the haters. As has been mentioned by many others here, I'm here for chemistry and that's pretty much it. These rules help keep the forum 'on brand' and the discourse therein out of the weeds.

Kudos to the mods for being vocal about this and nipping this potential problem in the bud.
Quote from: Eleusis
However, I had serious misgivings about sharing because my quest was one for knowledge and experience while, I knew, for most others it would be for purely economic reasons.

Quote from: Orange
you can always dont make things.
but u cant always make things happen.

Offline embezzler

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 09:41:15 AM »
I disagree that this creates a safe space since no political or religious views will be allowed. A safe space would allow one point of view and prevent others. One would be safe from opinions they dislike and surrounded only by those that agree with them.

Nobody is being "cancelled" either on account of their views they will simply have to find another outlet for these particular thoughts. Everyone is free to post on topics relevant to the board. This isn't an attempt to pick sides and prevent any particular individual or viewpoint from being expressed.

Politics and religion were never the point of boards like this.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream...

Offline Baba_McKensey

• Toad Quarantine
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 12:58:58 PM »
Check out the A Clockwork Orange videos on youtube.
I'm not Sam

Offline iczer01

• Larvae
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 08:35:55 PM »
no poliTics' yes !

Offline d00d

• Founding Wasp
  • Forum Moron
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 06:13:24 AM »
I disagree that this creates a safe space since no political or religious views will be allowed. A safe space would allow one point of view and prevent others. One would be safe from opinions they dislike and surrounded only by those that agree with them.

Nobody is being "cancelled" either on account of their views they will simply have to find another outlet for these particular thoughts. Everyone is free to post on topics relevant to the board. This isn't an attempt to pick sides and prevent any particular individual or viewpoint from being expressed.

Politics and religion were never the point of boards like this.

Fuck politics.  Fuck religion. That is for 86chan type-boards.  This board is science, guerilla science and innovation.  Not to say off topic is not OK, rather Fuck the policy makers, fuck the police,and fuck religion! It has snuffed out more scientific progress in the last 2 millennia than any other construct.

Truth being told, R&P chat is not bar chat.  Religion and Political conversation just invites in the bias, the arguments, and the hate over concepts no one in the community has any REAL say in.

Party on
Greater knowledge through stupidity

Offline Vesp

• Administrator
  • Founding Wasp
    • The Vespiary
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 04:32:06 AM »
I'd be willing to say that politics can be discussed if your actions can have a direct impact on what laws are passed, but that's just the long way of saying not to discuss it because the reality is you simply have no infleunce in what the government or "system" does.

Most politics/laws do not change any aspect of your life.  So don't think about it.
Of the laws that do, you can't change such laws. So only think about it enough that you can adapt.

Most political discussion yields nothing but division among people you could have gotten along better with, harming your social life, safety net, and various opportunities; most jobs are made via friends and family, as are most other opportunities.

Thinking about politics and religion is like discussing the different implementations of spider-mans web shooter in each spiderman movie. You'll probably find some people who are detached from reality to discuss it with you.

It is far better to do a few push ups, floss your teeth and think about how to improve your diet each time you are tempted to think of something so asinine.

An argument can be made that you can make valuable connections by discussing politics and finding like minded people, but that isn't exclusive to only that discussion, you can find it from nearly any other discussion.
Vespiary Archive: https://anonfiles.com/LcP9E4Y9u6/backup-2021-12-01_zip

Bitcoin: 1VespJ7dUtwMmvz6oDsMFDzs18kML58UV

Monero: 423c1FAdzQKPQRZEnsK84vSff7M8hCZoR16dvBkzFev3PwEDpLhgneHYyscUgmyVtyXyjMgLjhpGiePKZks16iN95UwXUKk

Offline carl

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • circular pastry filled with hazelnut crime
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 06:17:02 PM »
Thank for clarifying that Vesp, that's very important, especially coming from you.

We had to do this, to avoid members clashing about, as you say so well, stuff that nobody is affected with.
The division, especially with the former president, resulted in absurd positions and some people just couldn't leave the "fuck *name*" out of their posts.
Enraging others, etc, and this was all just too stupid.

Like you say, it brought nothing but division.
Now, if we look at the old hive archive, into the couch, we see something similar.
Its all "doublebush here, doublebush there, doublebush in america" stuff.
But it was just not as divisive as the same issues are now.
We had to do something about this, and only about this.

Of course we still do want to discuss drug politics and thats of course still a political site!
But we do not wanted the community to get divided further, we are just so few and we did not wanted any feud to happen, or continue.

Drug politics affect us all.
And we should be able to discuss current things.
Like how the (planned) legalization of drugs makes sense now that many people became disappointed in what those people do and ask for the reasoning behind stuff, with a shifted perspective.
We just did not wanted people to take sides in stupid stuff.
I would suggest that you guys share information like it was the last day on Earth.  This information slowdown is all because of all that dumb unwillingness to share.  That is where the DEA is winning.  There goal is you not talking to each other.  Let the information flow.  I  promise we will always be 2 steps ahead of DEA chemists if we just keep sharing information

Offline Tsjerk

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 12:41:59 AM »
I read it first about religion, but it work for politics:

Political opinions are like having a dick. It is fine to have one, it is also fine to be proud off. But don't swing it around in public and definitely don't try to stuff it down my throat.

Offline d00d

• Founding Wasp
  • Forum Moron
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 01:29:56 PM »
druqks policy information is important;

a far cry from the nauseating political tug of war discourse so prevalent in our day and age.

Best to leave politics to the nutcases on the 'chans', more important things to discuss here.

Agree with OP in this respect.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 01:31:43 PM by d00d »
Greater knowledge through stupidity