Author Topic: Is there any method...  (Read 1880 times)

malvaxman

Is there any method...
« on: May 22, 2002, 01:47:00 AM »
Is there any method to make pure enantiomeric d-meth which doesn´t involve natural products like l-ephedrine l-PAC?

....i guess the method which ofcours exists could be applicable in some research fascility but deffinitly not my kitchen or garage.  ::)

/Thank you for your help

PrimoPyro

Just putting the word out
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 02:06:00 AM »
There are also likely to be other possibilities involving organometallic syntheses. Many chiral agents have been developed for many syntheses involving these reactions. More information, I cannot produce, this is essentially all I know. My source (March's 5th) was very vague, and only consisting of about two sentences stating what I already stated.

Many of these catalysts revolve around the syntheses of alcohols and amines, so it is likely that such methods exist and are applicable here. What they are, I do not know as of yet.

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps La Ruche! How's my posting? Call 1-800-EAT-SHIT

lugh

Methylbenzylamine
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 02:16:00 AM »
You can also use reductive alkylation using methylbenzylamine as found in:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/reductive.alkylation.html

Reductive Alkylation of alpha-Methylbenzylamine with 1-Phenyl-2-Propanone Followed by Hydrogenolysis:

Nichols et al., Asymmetric Synthesis of Psychotomimetic Phenylisopropylamines, J. Med. Chem. 16(5) (1973) 480-3. This procedure offers a route to dextro-amphetamine from phenyl-2-propanone

Rhodium

RMgX + CuI + Imine -> Amine 99% yield, 99% ee
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2002, 02:19:00 AM »
Synlett 651 (2002) has a large review article of stereospecific addition of organometallic reagents to imines to form optically pure amines. It even includes some 2,5-dimethoxyphenyl compounds.

PrimoPyro

99% ee?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2002, 02:34:00 AM »
99% ee? Does that mean 99% enantiomerically efficient by any chance? Just a wild guess.

Rhodium

Enantiomeric excess
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002, 03:01:00 AM »
Enantiomeric excess. A racemic mixture is 0% ee, and a pure optical isomer is 100% ee. A 99% ee mixture consists of 99.5% of one isomer and 0.5% of the other. Stupid unit, I know.

PrimoPyro

Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2002, 03:09:00 AM »
I will remember this. The unit is ok, its value reminds me of the Proof system for alcohols, also redundant.

PrimoPyro