Author Topic: LWR Lore  (Read 3239 times)

idiotsavant2201

LWR Lore
« on: March 24, 2004, 12:43:00 PM »
While hiking several days ago, I stumbled upon a strange envelope. It contained a strange work of fiction, along with a request to post that story on this site’s forum. Someone named SWIIS had apparently been quite a busy bee. I haven’t been able to figure out what any of it actually meant, but being the good citizen that I am, I chose to relay the information it contained. Maybe one of the bees here can decipher it….

"After several short-cut laden, technique-sloppy reactions (and very predictable low quality, low yielding results), SWIIS had chosen to take a long break from it all.
He reportedly made a triumphant return to the lab. Rumor has it that he was quite successful.
During break time, SWIIS  had managed to amass a collection of white 60s, none of which were purchased more recently than March of 2003. He was uncertain as to the presence of O-1 or O-2, so did one JD-Naptha, one naptha, and two MEK boils. The 5 boxes of stock were then extracted per STE. Swiis checked his instrument panel, and saw that his altimeter read 6200 feet above sea level, and all liquids in the STE were increased by 5%. Two recrystallizations using dry iso/acetone yielded an acceptable 10.2g.
To the pristine, corn flake crystals. SWIIS added 7g of MBRP (tragically, the LGRP fairy has not been seen since he was shot down over Juarez), 1.2 of LG I2, and 8ml of dh20. The porridge was then refluxed for 48 hours. SWIIS is in an extremely arid climate, so cooling water was re-circulated. A (.50 cal) ammo can fitted with twin peltier junctions which were subsequently cooled by a takeout fan at 3300rpm, provided a very constant 42 degree bath for the condenser. A very boring 48 hours later,  the condenser was removed. Water was added, and the RP hit the flask bottom like a ton of bricks. 3x the volume of the flasks content’s worth of dH2O was added, and boiled (sans condenser) for 15 min. the reaction fluid was 2x filtered through a buchner/filter flask. This was the cleanest, palest reaction fluid SWIIS had EVER seen. The fluid was washed with hot naptha once, and xylene twice. The last xylene wash appeared pristine, so SWIIS decided he was ok to proceed. The setup for steam distillation (per VE’s excellent post) was prepared. He was not about to blow the whole shebang, so he decided to forgo the thousands of square miles in sand that he found out his front door, and he spent the $8 on 100% white pomace (chinchilla bath) sand. He based the eager reaction fluid, and proceeded with the distillation. This time, his condenser was cooled with re-circulated, very cold Ice water (loading ice to run the condenser for a short cooling is acceptable. Loading it over 48 hours is not). Sniff sniff, smile smile. So THAT’S the smell everyone is talking about! The distillation was complete in a hair under 45 minutes. The water in the serparatory funnel was almost completely drained,  roughly 6 times the volume of VM&P were added, and the very last of the water layer was completely drained. The np was washed with a nice hot saturated NaCL wash, followed by one cool wash, and a warm wash. The water was extremely clean on the last wash, with no excess of sodium ions. The Muriatic/CaCL wash bottle (with a cotton plug in the neck, just in case) was made ready. SWIIS laughed out loud when he saw the snowstorm forming. He squeezed his little wash bottle until he saw a beaker filled with applesauce. The gassed product had absolutely no yellow tinge. A thorough acetone rinse beat the last layer of NP nastiness from the pile. Curious o see what he was dealing with, SWIIS vaporized a small quantity of his product. The powder burned with no residue whatsoever. Two fairly quick dual solvent recrystallizations were performed with IPA & Acetone.
The 3rd and final rextallization was left to cool at a very slow pace still on the hotplate. 24 agonizing hours later, the crystals were harvested. Beautiful, translucent crystals of balls to the wall crystals were recovered. At final toll, SWIIS was left with a 6.25 g yield.
Read, learn, remember what you’ve learned, and TAKE YOUR TIME would be the moral of this fable."

kris_1108

Rxn
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
Nice rxn, great work.
6200ft above sea level PLUS 6gms of meth? Wow you're gonna be able to get HIGH now!  ;D

CharlieBigpotato

why reveal your altitude?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »
6200 ft.??
i could pinpoint you if i was a secret agent-dude.

but, hopefully you were lying.

i missed the moral of the story, except for your sucess.

Relux

1.2g of iodine?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 07:50:00 PM »
Sorry if I'm just being pesky, but exactly how much iodine did you say??

livid

re: I2
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »
he must of ment 10.2 or 12 gms

idiotsavant2201

Swiis was fairly close in his altimeter ...
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 08:10:00 PM »
Swiis was aware that such a specific listing of his altitude might paint a nice big target on the side of his aircraft (it seems his mind has been working quite efficiently over the last few days). Not wanting to risk being shot down from enemy airspace, he may have adjusted the readings  + or – 1500 feet. The 5% increase in the liquids may be dropped as far as 3.5, or raised as high as 7.5.

Anonymium

What a crock! All that effort for 6 fucking...
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »
What a crock! All that effort for 6 fucking grams. If anyone was considering trying to make this shit then I'm sure your post will convince them not too. You'd have to be a rocket scientist. Making meth is way too hard!
Kids, don't try this at home.

amalgum

A lot of work? SWIM could have it all done in...
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 03:03:00 AM »
A lot of work?  SWIM could have it all done in an afternoon (save for the time it takes to reflux of course).  You must be lazy.  Shit, sometimes in organic chemistry it takes A LOT of work for something, shit that would make the above post seem like eating cake.

kris_1108

hard
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 03:40:00 AM »
>>You'd have to be a rocket scientist. Making meth is way too hard!

You should try making MDMA or even LSD  :)

idiotsavant2201

I don’t actually know this SWIIS miscreant, so
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 10:41:00 AM »
I don’t actually know this SWIIS miscreant, so I’d only be guessing what went through his mind. The little bit that I have read about him would suggest the reaction may have been a labor of love, and wasn’t something he minded taking the time to do correctly. His writing almost seems to indicate he may have been suffering a euphoric side effect of his shenanigans, which I’m guessing would have made up for the small effort he put forth.

geezmeister

IS has it down cold
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »
I believe IdiotSavant has it down cold. Great writeup, good procedure, and I know I would love to sample your wares. The only thing I can't remember you referencing was the temperature of the reaction.

Amalgum obviously does not differentiate between the time something takes to finish, and the time you have to be actually involved with the process. For 47 of the 48 hours, IdiotSavant's swim was free to do something else entirely. There is no effort, no work, no attention to devote to a properly set up long wet reflux. I suspect Amalgum has yet to run one for 48 hours, as he vociferously protests the time the reaction is allowed to run as a waste of time.

I remember when I was of that opinion. That was before I ran one thirty six hours. It only took one time to convince me of the merits of the method.

Idiotsavant, congratulations on a great reaction and on obtaining some of that superb, clean, smooth meth that is as good as it gets. Hard to imagine you can get that from a process that takes care of itself so well, isn't it? Can't imagine ever stopping one as early as six hours again, can you?  ;)

Edit: Amalgum deserves my apology. He referenced the fact that this method was too easy to call work and in that he is right. Someone right above him thought this process was a waste of time. My apologies to Amalgum if what I said seem to offend.

idiotsavant2201

His (in flask) was probably 100-105c.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »
His (in flask) temp was probably 100-105c. I noticed that the weight of I2 was not listed, and I would think it would have been 12g. SWIIS might be inclined to agree with Geez (not a suprise. It looks as though every operation SWIIS performed was adapted from the postings of SWIG and SWIVE). Compared to the 48 hr lwr, the product from other reactions is laughable at best.

popi

Perfection=Best GoGo
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »
Very good!!Geezmiester has a nose for great gogo.I can smell it too.You even buy top grade sand.I can tell that the formula and procedure was top notch.I wish you went into more detail on your STE.I am not good at it and learn from everybody's methods.can't get Mek,so any other other choice's.?Tell me in detail,work'up to cornflakes.I'm in the same boat that yu were in. Good Bee!

idiotsavant2201

anything you need to know about STE is listed...
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »
anything you need to know about STE is listed in VE's excellent post.