Author Topic: Brand Fucking New Invention  (Read 4406 times)

ADDkid

Brand Fucking New Invention
« on: September 29, 2003, 04:34:00 PM »
Are you tired of broken Pyrex glass?  Are you tired of smelling fucking fumes? And are you tired of wasting solvents?  Well, fear no more, ADDkid got a brand new invention, which he does not believe as be talked about.
   First, you need to know what an aspirator is.  This is a tool that connects to the sink.  It has three ways.  One way screws into the sink, one way lets out water, and the last way is a nipple to connect a tube.  Once it is connect to the sink, connect the tube, and then connect that tube to a stopper that has a glass tube going into it.  Now put that stopper on a flask that has a nipple on it.  This is you water trap, or you organic solvent collector.  Take another tube, and connect it to the bottom of a Buckner funnel.  Now pour you solvent that has your product in it, into a small beaker, smaller than the funnel.  Now put the water trap in an ice bath. Next turn on the sink.  Now heat the beaker, and put the funnel on top of the beaker.  As the solvent begins to boil, the aspirator will create an vacuum that will 1.) Lower the boiling point, and 2.)  All the solvent that escapes much faster.  Plus the bonus part is the fact that the solvent will be collected into the flask that is sitting in the ice bath.  This can be reused.  Also  you don’t have to have a bucker funnel, any should work.  ADDkid

SHORTY

Sounds like vacuum distillation to me
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 04:15:00 AM »
I could bee wrong though. Its kinda hard to form a clear image of what you are actually describing.

halfkast

Nice one ADDKid!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 04:39:00 AM »
Like Shorty, NFI whats going on but, it's some kind of solvent distillation.

Is there any increased yield loss when drying this way?

I'd love a paper on yield loss during drying and crystallisation.  :)

pancuronium

uh huh...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 05:14:00 AM »
One thing new.  New tenant, same ghetto. Ingenuity is and always has been rampant here and you can bet that what you consider "new" is just another ghetto method.   8)

geezmeister

about three reads
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 01:17:00 PM »
After about three reads, I agree with Shorty's assessment. Sounds like ghetto vacuum distillation. What about it ADDkid? Is that what you are describing? What are you distilling off the solvent to get here ?

ADDkid

Not getto
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 03:52:00 PM »
I learn this tech. during lab, 100% yield, as longs as you do not heat to hot. It's just a buckner funnel hooked up to an water trap, the only differnt is that the tube goes on the bottom of the funnel, and not on the flask, the sovlevt is in the beaker, and the funnel goes on top of the beaker, the fluid that gets suck up, condenses when it hits the cold water trap that is sitting on the water bath.  I will draw a picture later, if one needs one.

ADDkid

go to this website http://homechemist.hopto.org...
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 03:59:00 PM »
go to this website

http://homechemist.hopto.org

SHORTY

Damn! What a nice drawing.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 05:30:00 PM »
Still looks like vacuum distillation.IMO.

ADDkid

Yes, that might be true, but it is quick and...
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 05:40:00 PM »
Yes, that might be true, but it is quick and easy, and keeps one from wasting sovlents, and takes away smell, please try it before you criticize it. I was in lab the other day, and I was shock to see how well it works, its not "getto", labs that do research use this method all the time.  Look at the new picture, took a little more time on the picture.  Again, please try first then make your opinion.  A vacuum distillion could cost hundreads, this setup cost dollars, and the crystals left in the beaker, are ready for recrystallation.  

http://homechemist.hopto.org

SHORTY

No one is criticizing the technique
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 02:11:00 AM »
Were just saying that it is not a "brand new invention" as you claim.  Chemist have been performing vacuum distillations for a long time.