Author Topic: First LSD Synth Post  (Read 5289 times)

Nocturnal

First LSD Synth Post
« on: April 12, 2000, 03:48:00 PM »
There are several L synths on this page. Which would be the best? Why?

http://www.totse.com/files/FA049/make.htm

Bright Star

Re: First LSD Synth Post
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2000, 06:43:00 PM »
That is the old method.   Very challenging and not good yields.  This one is better, and the PURE precursor can be had in some of the third world countries ...

IMHO .. The best one:

http://www.drgrim.com/taoid/lsd_synthesis.txt

Second Best ... Shulgin's Method:

http://www.lycaeum.org/books/tihkal/

The old ones:

http://rhodium.lycaeum.org/chemistry/lsd.synth.txt

http://rhodium.lycaeum.org/chemistry/lysergic.amides.txt

Some Grand Ref's:

http://rhodium.lycaeum.org/chemistry/lsdsyn.txt

Note:
This synthesis is very tough.  It would stretch the nerves and skill of a TALENTED organic chemist.   Especially the old synths ...
It is kind of the Holy Grail of synthesis.  If you cannot dream of Meth, X, 2C-B ... or ANY of the trypamines.   Then forget it.   You'll never get the required yields for the next synth.

If you can't calculate moles.  Then go back to school.   This is not a 'complete idiots guide'.  There isn't one.   This is synth ... think ... extract ... think ... react ... think ...

Go big or go home.

painiac

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2000, 07:07:00 AM »
Once upon a time I heard someone say something about a one pot shot for "LSD"
(unrealistic i think looking at the multiple lighting thing in brightstars favorite).. someone also said it was uncle fester's synth.. anyone know?
 ps brightstar.. that is an awesome mdma write up.. i can just see it..

zephler

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2000, 03:26:00 AM »
The one pot shot is festers rehash of a now 50 year old method.  There is no one "pot shot".   Although the skill to perform the feat is high, so too is MDMA manufacture.  I don;t recommend anyone try them.  But POCl3 is commonly available for the dehydration of alcohols, isn;t it?

zephler

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2000, 03:27:00 AM »
I wonder too, if the POCl3 is in pyridine, the form used for E2 reactions with alcohols

painiac

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2000, 05:27:00 AM »
shit.. after reading brightstar's writeup i think anyone with a good concept of chemistry could do it if they study it and can operate the equipment. i think one part of being a good chemist is to be able to think metaphysically.. you know, see the electron excanges and the like from an atomic view. meth takes a little; mdma, proficient; and LSD takes excelent understanding. i hope to understand like that one day, but till then i'm on the simple reduction/ acid base extraction level. it takes someone like brightstar and other pimps to put it to us in general terms so that we may one day get there. i am so glad that i can be here to learn (cause i thin its gonna get darker before it gets lighter in the world of drug info on the net).. i hope we can one day talk shit about acid like the biggest problem is getting enough LSA to run the synth.

Bright Star

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2000, 09:42:00 AM »
Its actually harder than you think.

POCl3 is watched.  Why?   It is THE precursor for Sarin Nerve Gas.   Fucking destructive radicals, make it so hard for us peace&love types.

The one Pot shot is a myth.

Dream smaller dreams first. 

Roll over, crawl, stand, walk, run ... olympic team?

IronMonkey

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
You don't need much POCl3, and if you already have a proper system for acquiring items you should be able to get what you need for several ounce batches.

Bright Star

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2000, 11:32:00 PM »
Very true.   10mL should last a very long time.   That and 10mL of DiEtAmine should last about as long ....

tube

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2000, 01:04:00 PM »
According to Johnson et al. "All steps were carried out with considerable experimental ease".

Johnson FN, Ary IE, Teiger DG, Kassel RJ.
Emetic activity of reduced lysergamides.
J Med Chem. 1973 May;16(5):532-7

formula54

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2001, 10:56:00 PM »
i regard to bright star's first link...does any bee remember what synthesis this might have been?
(the link is dead)

"If I were a "lady" I wouldn't be telling anybody here."
-tamerlane

formula54

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2001, 07:34:00 AM »
good lord this forum is dead

-swis54

scarmani

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2001, 11:59:00 PM »
Sorry for the off-topic post; (and the software glitch is probably temporary)  :-[

but the thread-link in the forum goes to the third post in this thread.

Those innocent eyes slit my soul up like a razor.

halfapint

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
responding to the TOTSE site LSD synth question

There are three LSD synths there. (These, and more, are at Rhodium's.) The first is Hofmann's original method, hydrazide to azide, which yields a racemate which then has to bee rectified, not fun, low yields. The second uses unobtainable reagents and unrealistic conditions. If you got any trifluoroacetic anhydride on you, grab a quick shower. The third is the shits, Garbrecht's synthesis, high yields, fast and easy.

The problem is that the procedure given does not contain enough information to successfully carry it out. Nor does the Garbrecht synthesis on Rhodium's page. Both lack the crucial information that the synthesis is extremely sensitive to the exact equivalents of SO3 to lysergic acid. You must have precisely 3 equivalents, or you're spinning your wheels; yield falls to near nothing, if your measurement is off the slightest bit.

Copper (II) sulfate will give SO3 at a lower temperature than iron (II) sulfate.

Edit: Arrgh! Can't believe I got caught up in a software glitch like this! Natch, I didn't even look at the date on the post. Thought something looked familiar. Did wonder why what I posted didn't show up, wondered briefly if tryptamine chem had been made moderated like serious chem, curious enough to look again, now I just can't get my feet out of this tar pit.

:P

Rhodium

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2001, 08:59:00 PM »
Halfapint: Could you reference this need for the exact measurement?

halfapint

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2001, 02:51:00 AM »
Its requirement for the exact stoichiometry is emphasized in Garbrecht's original paper, in J Org Chem. I can't even remember the year he published, I think 1967. (This is why I have jabbed at your brief overview text from time to time, hoping somebody would post that part of his paper.) Some unscrupulous ruffians stole my entire chem library, and presented me with other insults. That wasn't lately, but I have had to rely a lot on memory since. Not the best thing to rely on.

Garbrecht reviewed the 4 or 5 preceding syntheses for lysergates, with their conditions and their yields, making a convincing case that his sulfur trioxide/DMF complex method was the best up until that time, but only if exact equivalents were used. (His explanation ran something like one for the lithium salt, another hangs around the indole nitrogen, and the third complexes with the carboxyl, or a similar confusion.) Now I have no doubt the POCl3 route may bee as good, or that using the more contemporary coupling agents with the cryptic acronyms might give better results. Yet this way is good enough, call it a sentimental favorite.

turning science fact into <<science fiction>>

bujinkan

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2001, 04:30:00 PM »
interesting post halfapint, thanks.

(sentimental favorite?!? haha) :)

UTFSE

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2002, 10:43:00 PM »
eight pages of hits on "Garbrecht" on patents.(inventor)
lots with ergo---- or lyser------ in dem.
even more with "No title available"!!

just glad to bee here-----he he he

rommstein2000

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2002, 07:29:00 PM »
goto

Rhodium

(http://rhodium.ws), almost all the info at TOTSE was taken from there or from erowid/lycaeum. peace[/u

halfapint

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2002, 01:12:00 AM »
Caught another one! This bug was beehaving exactly like it was over Chrissmiss! (And probably the last of November.) It was showing only the third post, and dragging the thread up to or near the top of this forum. The Twilight Zone is closer than you know. The fabric of reality is stretched very thin, in and around the Hive...

SOMEBODY LOCK THIS THREAD PLZ...

turning science fact into <<science fiction>>