Author Topic: 1st time Ketone Success! i hope...  (Read 4322 times)

homeslice

1st time Ketone Success! i hope...
« on: December 22, 2003, 10:21:00 AM »
Swims vacuum read the highest swim ever got it. It was not even a hair away from 30". Now swims safrole came over at about 105-110. Swims ketone came over last nite betwen 95-98. Now... When my safrole distilled the vacuum read about 29-29.25. Now last nite, after reading a post discussing lubricating your thermometer plastic coupler for the adapter, the vacuum read like 29.85-30. Swim couldnt even determine whether or not it was on 30 or not it was that close. Now is this feasible? My ketone looks to be exactly as described by many bees, yellow with a hint of green. Swim yielded about 55-60 ml.

r2e3

woa!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 10:39:00 AM »
sounds like you have one of those rotary vane oil pumps - ultra powerful. maybe the best thing would be to distill some iso or saf to see at what temp they come over at.

homeslice

Well i did
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »
Swim did redistill my safrole right before the wacker but then the day after swim went and found a post talking about how important it is to grease up the therm coupler. So he did and now he can visibly see a difference in the vacuum guage. Its right on 30. Swims using a Ritchie Yellow Jacket 4 CFM fridge pump? Swim thinks its a fridge pump swims not really sure heh.

So... Swim distilled about 60mls of ketone last nite at about 97 with a bath temp of like 120ish. So today swim thought, swim... you might as well try to get more out of it and cook it up really high so swim turned back on the vacuum, same 30", heated the shit up to about 145 on the oil bath and sure enough more ketone is coming over as swim speaks.  :)     Swim bets theres another 15-20 ml in the receiver with more on the way. Same exact stuff, nice yellow green colored.
Now, swims question still remains... can swim distill ketone at 95 degrees under 30" of vacuum? If someone replys and is like yeah swims done this before, swims going to go and get me some crystalle(sp?)... ya know that shit that puff daddy drinks heh.

spectralmagic

I'm feeling generous...
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 11:22:00 AM »
I'm feeling generous...

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/equipment/conversion.html

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/equipment/nomograph.html

So, using the those links, and an estimated atmospheric bp for ketone of 286 C (if it didn't decompose before that temp), then if you're pulling ketone over at 97 C, this would indicate a vacuum of roughly 0.6 mmHg, or roughly 29.9"

homeslice

No shit thanks magic.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »
No shit thanks magic.  :)

Is there some sort of test to test if it is?

spectralmagic

Alright, now you get it...
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 12:09:00 PM »
Alright, now you get it...  :P

UTFSE

Search for "ketone" and "test"...  Oh, alright, another freebie, add "bisulfite" to the search as well...  ;)

pickler

Swim has used the same vac you have and those...
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 01:40:00 PM »
Swim has used the same vac you have and those temps are about right. Swim has seen safrole come over at 62-65C and ketone at 85-96c. Congrats on your ketone.

homeslice

thanks pickler
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 02:56:00 PM »
No fuckin shit lol hahah im so excited... now the al/hg  :)
Hopefully swim will be e-tarded for new years  ;D  ;D  ;D

chilly_willy

sure..
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2003, 12:22:00 AM »
Its perfectly feasible to pull key at 98-100 deg. with one of those super hvac pumps.  You might want to be sure though that your sass comes over about 20-25 deg. lower than your key on that same pump.  If it smells like a sweet menthol that coats your fingers like motor oil you got it.  Do a "wet" reductive alkylation with it...you will be much happier with the results than the al/hg.

CW
8)

homeslice

Oil like
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2003, 04:42:00 PM »
Its more yellow than green and it has an oil consistency, more more syruppy than water. I have no idea what this wet alkylation is, so ill utfse before asking  :)

Bond_DoubleBond

gotta love that smell.
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2003, 05:40:00 PM »
gotta love that smell.

put a drop on your tongue and if it's ketone, it should go numb  :P

homeslice

Well swim know its ketone.
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2003, 06:47:00 PM »
Well swim know its ketone. I mean its yellow, oily, and came over when it should have. What should it smell like?

Besides that, how safe is putting a drop on your tongue?

Bond_DoubleBond

well, swim can't say with absolute certainty...
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2003, 11:27:00 PM »
well, swim can't say with absolute certainty that it's 100% safe, but after trying it once or twice, swim hasn't died or gone blind.

yet  :)

you'll be fine  ;)

gruns

I love that smell too :) I managed to get a...
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2003, 01:18:00 AM »
I love that smell too :)  I managed to get a few drops on a favorite shirt of mine, and I'll be damned if I can still smell it on there after it comes out of the dryer (2 years).  It's getting weaker though... 

Oh, and it saturated a rubber stopper of mine as well, so if you have any of those in your set-up you will want to make sure and get rid of them as evidence as soon as you're done.

placebo

Desribe the smell. I have heard many peoples...
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2003, 08:22:00 AM »
Desribe the smell. I have heard many peoples opinions of the smell, (cardomen etc) But I don't think any of them prepared me for what it smells like. I love it.

homeslice

smell
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2003, 11:17:00 AM »
Swim thought it smelled a little minty or sumthin. It definately smells like somethin else that swim smelled before, but swim cant think of it. Yeah it definately smells nice, however swims still gonna pass on tasting it heh. Its like spearmint or sumthin?

VinnyC

Just place a tiny bit on the tip of your ...
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »
Just place a tiny bit on the tip of your tongue  :)

homeslice

Ok 2 bees cant bee wrong so swim tried a tiny...
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2003, 02:36:00 PM »
Ok 2 bees cant bee wrong so swim tried a tiny little bit on the tip of his tongue. It definately feels weird, swim guesses it kinda went numb. Tastes like shit...

VinnyC

You will never forget that numb feeling!
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2003, 04:11:00 PM »
You will never forget that numb feeling!

It's like a wintergreen-spearmint sensation...

cublium

It smells something like cardamon and ...
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2003, 12:21:00 AM »
It smells something like cardamon and sometimes a bit like cucumber.