Author Topic: Need help with amounts  (Read 3870 times)

Lestat

Need help with amounts
« on: June 25, 2004, 11:41:00 AM »
Hey guys. I really need some help on this, I am really sorry to waste everybee's time with this, but I am dyscalculic (the math version of dyslexia for anybee unsure of this) :(

SWIM has 30ml of 1% ephedrine HCl and 1% chlorobutanol in water, again I am sorry to ask this but I have no idea as to even what the math is to work it out  :( .

How much KMnO4 (crystals) would be needed to make methcathionine via a cold-synth?

Please be patient with me, I know this is a stupid question to ask and waste time with this, but I really do have so much of a problem with the math required as for it to be totally impossible for me without aid.
Again, I am really sorry for this post
:(

MadMunkey

then why would you choose a field of study...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
then why would you choose a field of study that you know requires math? this could be potentially dangerous beecuz if you read numbers backwards/upside-down and you "accidently" add the wrong amount of whatever to what what your trying to do, it could go boom. fun to watch, just not up close. try a calculator.

Lestat

I can actually read numbers, but I have great...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 07:50:00 PM »
I can actually read numbers, but I have great difficulty scaling a procedure up, and for me it is completely impossible to scale down a procedure without a friend to do the math for me ::)  

As, for instance, I just have no idea of the math even required to work out how much ephedrine I currently have, even using a calculator :(

Things going boom is a risk I quite often have to take.

Lestat

I really do need help on this, as I am ...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 12:20:00 AM »
I really do need help on this, as I am expecting a child soon, I am going to have a mouth to feed and no means to feed it if I can't get this sorted out soon.

Tdurden969

Why don't you get a legit job then?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2004, 12:34:00 AM »
Why don't you get a legit job then?

Lestat

Beelieve me, I am trying, but in the UK, job...
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 12:39:00 AM »
Beelieve me, I am trying, but in the UK, job interviewers aren't in the least bit friendly to my age group and I have had a lot of trouble finding anything. I just need to get back on my feet that's all because my ex is due next month  ::)

MadMunkey

post a link to the procedure your using
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »
post a link to the procedure your using

Lestat

it's not much to go on, I tried it last nite...
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 10:30:00 PM »
it's not much to go on, I tried it last nite using a tiny amount of KMnO4, and got some weird shit, knocked me out until about 7 pm the next day, and now things are having weird assed effcts on me, not bad though, for some reason, I'm getting high after just smoking ordinary tobacco

Post 505555

(dextro: "is this methcathion ?", Stimulants)

welt

i have no idea why you have put any thing...
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
i have no idea why you have put any thing other than ephedrine in the solution i have no idea
you mean 1% ephedrin by mass ?
so in 100g of your solution you would have 1g of ephedrine
1g of ephedrine needs 0.38g of KMnO4 im not sure how chlorobutanol will react with KMnO4 i asume in the same way... so you will need to add an extra 0.269 g
so for every 100g of solution i would say add around 0.649g of KMnO4 (posibly a little less to avoid over reducing your ephedrine to icky black stuff)hope its some help for you, and please go to all your local stores and ask if they have some work (nothing should be below you when your unemployed i have learnt this)

MadMunkey

true dat
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »
when i was outa work, i posted a bunch of flyers for yard work and shit. like a month later this dude calls me up, he needs a lab assistant to wash his galssware. dude went to harvard and is an ex chemistry proffessor, so now im learning more then i would if i'd be going to school, and i'm earning tons of money too. and all i did was sit on the comp and print up a few hundred flyers and then plaster them all over town. cool eh?

ChemoSabe

What?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 08:54:00 PM »
Are you saying that this ex Chem Professor got one of your flyers for doing yard work only he called you up to have you work as a lab assistant instead?

Or are you also mowing his lawn?

Lestat

Welt, the solution is 1% w/v whatever that...
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 09:03:00 PM »
Welt, the solution is 1% w/v whatever that means, but I didn't put the chlorobutanol in it, it was unfortunately in there as manufactured. It's just a dirt-cheap generic ephedrine preperation and unfortunately it's contaminated with chlorobutanol. Thanks for the amounts welt  ;D

MadMunkey

yea, pretty much
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »
yea, i put up the flyers with a friend of mine, he's not that smart, and not nearly as interested in chem as me, so he does most of the yard work for the guy, and i work in his lab. he's moving at the end of the month tho, so we're kinda finishing up in the lab and starting to pack, while my friend and his wife are helping the guy go thru all the shit in his house. he's such a sterotypical scientist tho, absent-minded as hell. lol

MadMunkey

you should proly try to distil as much of the...
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 06:14:00 PM »
you should proly try to distil as much of the chlorobutanol out of the solution as you can, what % of chlorobutanol is in it? 1%ephed and 99%chloro?

Lestat

1% eph, and 1% chlorobutanol, it's largely...
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 06:18:00 PM »
1% eph, and 1% chlorobutanol, it's largely irrelevant now as I decided to just chug the eph and hope for the best as there wasn't much left from my previous ventures with it.

MadMunkey

nvm then, just curious, what all was in the...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 07:29:00 PM »
nvm then, just curious, what all was in the solution? %'s too

OcoteaCymbarum

This is straight forward
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 08:15:00 PM »
If you have 30ml of a 1% weight by volume, it simply means you got 1 gram of ephedrine in 100ml water. So you have 0.3grams of epehdrine in a 30 ml solution. You will also have 0.3grams of chlorbutanol, used as a PRESERVATIVE for your solution, its not a contamination. The rest is just water so you have 29.4 grams of water, .3 grams of ephedrine and chlorbutanol. Who the hell would want chlorbutanol at 99%. Anybody care to drink it?

The mw of epehdrine is 165.2346 . To find moles just divide your 0.3grams/ 165.2346 and you will get moles(0.0018 moles or 1.8 millimole)

If you got your amounts in grams then its even easier since you know you got 0.3g ephedrine

Lestat

Thanks, I may not have the solution anymore,...
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 08:19:00 PM »
Thanks, I may not have the solution anymore, but it's good to know how much I can get from one botle, just enough for a nano I think ;D

MadMunkey

i didn't know what chlorobutanol was used for,
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 11:52:00 PM »
i didn't know what chlorobutanol was used for, i should have UTFSE, but i didn't. my bad.