Author Topic: Transdermal Ethanol?  (Read 3714 times)

Agent_Smith

Transdermal Ethanol?
« on: October 20, 2001, 11:35:00 PM »
Is ethanol intoxicating when applied transdermally?  i.e. is there some reaction in the stomach that produces the intoxicating pathway?

To expound on this, could a solution of aqueous ethanol and DMSO gel be used to introduce alcohol into the blood stream?

blah blah blah something clever blah blah blah

Osmium

Re: Transdermal Ethanol?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2001, 05:57:00 AM »
> To expound on this, could a solution of aqueous ethanol
> and DMSO gel be used to introduce alcohol into the blood
> stream?

Probably so, but can you imagine what you will smell like when you try that shit? Ewwww.

What's wrong with drinking it? Rectally works too (seriously). You can also gargle with booze.

Your stomach enzymes will convert 10-20% of the alcohol consumed before it is absorbed into the bloodstream.

Chromic

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2001, 08:07:00 AM »
If using ethanol rectally, keep the concentration at 5%. Any greater can really irritate the muscous membranes.

Agent_Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
In terms of volume, I'm thinking you're gonna have to rub a lot of ethanol-laden DMSO into your skin to absorb an intoxicating amount of ethanol.  Is that so? or is intoxication a function of concentration AND rate, i.e. will the faster uptake of alcohol allow a smaller amount to achieve intoxication?

Also, what about THC.  Does the THC actually need to combust before it's active, or can it be transdermally applied as well?

And just how fast does DMSO soak through ya?

wandering101

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2001, 08:39:00 AM »
Alcohol is a TOXIN.
As a fire-breathing bartender, we sometimes used to use Stroh 80 for the afore-mentioned fire-breathing - blisters all over the mouth the next day were the inevitable result...
Trust me, EtOH + DMSO through the skin in enough quantities to get you drunk is going to require hospitalisation to replace the skin....

Chromic

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2001, 09:45:00 AM »
Do not ever use DMSO to absorb things like GBL or EtOH. Also, do not ever attempt to shoot either chemicals by IV, unless you're able to setup a sterile IV saline drip and keep the concentrations very low (ie similar to blood alcohol/gbl levels found in intoxicated people).

Agent_Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »
Ok, I won't then.  What about transdermal THC oil?  it'd be easier to work with if you could dissolve it in DMSO since the doses are pretty tiny...?