Author Topic: tungsten carbide as catalyst  (Read 4318 times)

UTFSE

tungsten carbide as catalyst
« on: January 06, 2002, 12:36:00 PM »
Science 3may74 pages563-565

"electronic structure and catalytic behavior of tungsten carbide

ABSTRACT. Tungsten carbide has been show to be an effective catalyst for a number of reactions readily catalyzed by platinum ......near the Fermi state, the electronic desity of tungsten carbide more nearly resembles that of platinum than that of tungsten"

Offered as a potential new OTC catalyst only. No hands on expereince just a ref.

just glad to bee here-----he he he

UTFSE

Re: tungsten carbide as catalyst
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2002, 06:09:00 PM »
hey sometimes just too much info- too many tangents. I just thought this was something look into - definently OTC and with pretty good reviews. Oh well.

OTEECEE & meeeee!!!!

PrimoPyro

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2002, 08:12:00 PM »
Oh, I have definitely filed this one away. I just had nothing to add, so I didn't comment. Great find.  :)

Is the Fermi State dependent upon temperature?

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche!

UTFSE

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 02:54:00 PM »
Primo- reluctantly I do not know what a "fermi state" is. Sounds very physical though.

BTW this came from my curiosity about a statement in Merck - just something there stated that platinum or tungsten could be either used as a catalyst in (?) process/reaction.

Seems tungsten (being more available) details were worth seeking.

Also seems tungstate salts were the desired embodiment- I foget (often)............

OTEECEE & meeeee!!!!

mottaman420

The Fermi Temp.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2002, 09:27:00 PM »
The fermi temperature ,  i believe, is the temp at which the conductivity of the metal in its liquid state peaks. Has something to do with polarity and ions maybe ???

Found this - - "We could further speculate on the electrochemical nature of this material. Consider the hydrogenated semiconductor BiH2I. With two tetrahedral holes per site, BiI may be a strong hydrogen absorber, if its tendency to oxidize to BiIO is overcome. The material may exhibit ionic conduction of hydrogen ions, in contrast to electronic conduction of Bipolarons, depending on the electrode material. The end result would be the electrolysis of water, or reversibly, the catalysis of hydrogen and oxygen. Isolation of this material from the environment may be one prerequisite for this behavior; i.e. - Platinum, Tungsten, Carbon or Quartz."

Don't completely understand what that means so if anybody in here does than could a tungsten salt work in place of the Adam's catalyst in the hydrogenation of MDP2P via methylamine and possibly nitromethane?

Also found this definition " WORK FUNCTION. -- The minimum energy required to remove an electron from the Fermi level of a material into field-free space. Work function is normally expressed in electron volts. " don't seem like that helps to much though. A fermi is also a measurement of length. Also known as a femtometer (1^-15). Enrico Fermi was a physicist who did some shit with radioactivity (first controlled nuclear reaction I think)

It also seems to deal with solid state lasers, super-conductors, surfaces, and compressed liquids.

_.-==''SupaTokaBuDsMoka''==-._
'''''''GonnaGetHighTillIDie'''''''

mottaman420

Catalysts
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2002, 10:07:00 PM »
Since were talking about catalysts can the following other catalysts be used instead of the Adam's Catalyst in hydrogenations of MDP2P. I found many things that said you could use Pt, Pd Ni, Rh to change Alkynes and alkanes to alkenes in hydrogenations. And since this next lab write up says that ketones can be reduced to alcohols the same way. Can somone tell me if this could be useful as a source for other catalysts. :P

_.-==''SupaTokaBuDsMoka''==-._
'''''''GonnaGetHighTillIDie'''''''