Author Topic: MDA/NaBH4 problem-help needed !  (Read 1922 times)

patrick

MDA/NaBH4 problem-help needed !
« on: February 22, 2002, 09:35:00 AM »
Hello,

Here is the summary of a MDA via AA and NaBH4 try, all quantities according to labtop ratios:

1) AA, 50 gr MDP2P, MeOH, silicagel, no inert gaz, but stoppered flask. 8hours under slow stiring. Yellow color at the end.

2) NaBH4, added over 1h30, temp never past 10°C. New silicagel. No inert gaz, stoppered. 36h slow steering at room temp (~17°C). Final color: yellow-orange, not red.

3) Added approx. 800ml 5% NaOH. Extract the MDA/remaining MDP2P with DCM.

Error 1: no acid washes

4) Distilled off DCM, distilled freebase/MDP2P at 120°C at 3 Torr. Result: 30gr product.

5) Diluted the freebase/MDP2P in approx. 500ml IPA. Gaz up to acid pH. NO CRYSTALS

Error 2: Too much IPA

6) Distilled half of the IPA, nice crystals in the remaining. Result after drying and washing: 7gr MDA

BIG QUESTION:

It seems that I have a remaining mix of MDA/acidified-old-MDP2P/IPA in my flask. Maybe the crystals are not forming due to the presence of the MDP2P. What can I do to isolate my MDA ??? The smell of MDA is strongly present in this mix.

Osmium

Re: MDA/NaBH4 problem-help needed !
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 09:41:00 AM »
Do the A/B:
Remove the bulk of your IPA by distillation. Flood the residue with water. Acidify with HCl. Not pH 6.8 or some such bullshit, make it real acidic. Wash 3 times with your favorite NP. Then basify with strong NaOH. The freebase will come out. Extract three times with your favorite NP. Then either gas it with HCl gas, OR evap the NP, take up the freebase in approx 3-4 times its weight in IPA, gas it, then add lots of acetone. Crystals.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

patrick

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2002, 10:51:00 AM »
Thanks for the answer.
Do I have to hurry or can I wait 3 days before to proceed?

hest

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2002, 11:13:00 AM »
hurry hurry hurry !!