Author Topic: Turps as a post reaction solvent  (Read 3410 times)

Chewbacca

Turps as a post reaction solvent
« on: October 11, 2003, 08:49:00 PM »
Previously SWIC has used NPs like toluene or naptha in his post reaction workup. Have any other bees experimented with mineral turps in the post reaction workup? Is it usefull or useless? How does it fare vs. other solvents? Should it bee heated to extract?

halfkast

mnimalist or excessive (just comprehensive really)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 12:19:00 AM »
Toluene or xylene will pull everything including some rubbish. Toluene will pull the most.

Anything you have to heat I wouldn't use or trust. But I also don't trust freezing out, so...

pure gum terpentine or regular turpentine will pull more than naphtha I feel. A good balance perhaps?

You can either go softly-softly with naphtha or turpentine (not as soft, maybee not soft at all?) OR you can go with benzene, toluene or xylene if you have faith in your final cleaning and recrystalisation abilities.

I'd choose xylene on paper, but toluene is easier for you to get in Oz obviously. The reason I say that is because they will both pull all of your product, so using toluene over xylene is just unnecessary.

But turps will pull at room temp.
It might bee purrfect.

I don't know though man, but those with experience might.

Chewbacca

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 04:32:00 AM »
Toluene has always been my favourite, you're right- even small amounts pull lots of goods. I think that Oz turps may have some bullshit in there... seems to create a white mess when exposed to water.. ::)

SHORTY

I add the toluene to the freebase meth and
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 09:11:00 AM »
I steam distill the post rxn solution and then using my sep funnel as a receiver.  I then drain the water and am left with the freebase meth.  If i add an equal amount of toluene all the freebase will mix with the tol but i usually add about 5 or 6 times as much tol as there is freebase.

If you want to know whether or not you are pulling everything then just add your base before your np and then you can watch as it mixes with the np.