Author Topic: Production Of Oxygen  (Read 2024 times)

Bwiti

Production Of Oxygen
« on: April 20, 2002, 09:31:00 AM »
What's up folks?! I'm looking for a way to produce oxygen with a sep funnel and a reaction vessel; simple set-up. I'm not looking for the cheapest way, but I do want it to be as pure as possible. Any info would be much appreciated! Peace! 8)

Love my country, fear my government.

foxy2

electrolysis
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2002, 09:45:00 AM »
electrolysis of water, it don't get much purer.

Search google, I think you'll find some small easy set-ups

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Nemo_Tenetur

Oxone and MnO2
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2002, 09:46:00 AM »
30 percent hydrogen peroxide and MnO2 is easy, cheap and OTC.

Bwiti

Cool
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2002, 05:11:00 PM »
Thanks folks! I'll probably use 30%H2O2/MnO2, because platinum electrodes, nichrome or graphite rods, and this thing is a little too involved for me.

Peace! 8)  

terbium

I have to ask?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2002, 05:17:00 PM »
Why not just go to the local welding supply store and buy a small cylinder of compressed gas?

cheeseboy

give away
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2002, 11:02:00 PM »
You might even find free cylinders on that famous Lab Supplies auction bay. Search for gas.

May De Sorce Bee Wit Chu-Always

Bwiti

How Small ??
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2002, 02:34:00 AM »
"You might even find free cylinders on that famous Lab Supplies auction bay."

Normally that would be a good idea, but as far as compressed gas goes, that's a no-no for me, because you don't know how many times the seller dropped it and bashed the valve. If the valve's damaged, a piece could fly off and blow a fucking hole through your skull when you crack it open. Yeah, a welding supplier's a good idea. I haven't been in the welding world too long; What's the smallest tank available? Peace! 8)

foxy2

the hardware
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2002, 04:48:00 AM »
The hardware store has disposable oxygen cylinders just like the propane.  They sell mini welding/brazing torches that run on propane/oxygen or MAPP/oxygen.

Check it out, they are like $8 or $10 bucks for one tank of O2.  Pretty expensive, but if you only need a little its the way to go.

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Bwiti

"they are like $8 or $10 bucks for one tank of ...
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2002, 06:54:00 AM »
"they are like $8 or $10 bucks for one tank of O2."

Cool, thanks! That should suit me perfectly. 8)

Chromic

1 mol
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2002, 07:49:00 AM »
IIRC, those little tanks are about ~1 mol (15g) of oxygen. Might suit your need, although it won't get you away from the need for a gas regulator.

Bwiti

No problem
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2002, 03:46:00 AM »
"Might suit your need, although it won't get you away from the need for a gas regulator."

Got the regulator covered. ;)