Author Topic: Does OTC CaCl2 need to be dryed prior to use?  (Read 3804 times)

Synergetic

Does OTC CaCl2 need to be dryed prior to use?
« on: August 03, 2004, 05:48:00 AM »
Im sure you all know which OTC CaCl2 source swim speak of!
Now swim needs to construct a drying tube, and he has never used this chemical before. Can the CaCl2 be used 'as is', or does it need to be dried in oven prior to use?
For more experienced members, do you think anhydrous Cl2 gas can be obtained by initially generating via TCCA/HCl, passing through 2x portions of H2SO4, then finally through a CaCl2 drying tube? Suggestions or answers appreciated  :)

abolt

Can the CaCl2 be used 'as is' If it came in a...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 05:56:00 AM »
Can the CaCl2 be used 'as is'

If it came in a sealed bag or container, the Yes.

ApprenticeCook

otherwise refer to: http://www.rhodium.ws/chemi...
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 03:24:00 PM »
otherwise refer to:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/equipment/dryingagent.data.html

for drying agent drying (if that makes sense....)

-AC

Synergetic

Sounds good to me,
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 06:43:00 AM »
Yes, it was bought sealed, and it now resides in a sealed container. Cheers Abolt, good enough for me!  ;)
That drying agent data is a good reference AC, eagerly adding to archives as we type, thanks for the link.

Tsport

Does OTC CaCl2 need to be dryed prior to use?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 04:35:00 AM »
I don't see y it should be dryed since it's already is.I bought mine from a Pool Supplier,just tell them"I need some Calcium for soft water". If u're paranoid like me..u wouldn't read the label until u are out of the store. In the End..ur Calcium bottle is CACL2.

Drug_Phreak

Would putting CaCl2 in the oven at 250° for an
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »
Would putting CaCl2 in the oven at 250° for an hour or so make it basically equivalent to the anhydrous CaCl2 that is sold by lab suppliers? I remember reading somewhere that a person shouldn't use a gas stove for drying, but I can't remember why they said a person shouldn't do that. Anyway... is that true?