Author Topic: my pill press  (Read 40936 times)

Agni

my pill press
« on: October 14, 2004, 04:16:00 AM »

My digital camera is dead again, so i made a flash movie of my press in action. If anyone is interested i can post diretions on how to make it. i put my press onto a normal 15 ton shop press and presed down on the top. i produce 4 pills every 2 minutes with this, though the design could esily be made larger to produce many more. the pills are hard and stay together(mdma). hope this upload works...

jackhole

Post!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 05:09:00 AM »
Post!

Bond_DoubleBond

Sweet
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 05:19:00 AM »
Indeed.  Please post.

Astrum

Sexy
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 06:45:00 AM »
Very sexy  :)

psytech

more
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 07:10:00 AM »
do u have any details

ApprenticeCook

Yeah i would like to see some pictures.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 08:49:00 AM »
Yeah i would like to see some pictures.

Hand operated? how did you achieve the required pressure??

Would love to see some pics so we can see how it operates and pics of sample output pills.... what are they like? good as one wants them to be???

Schematics on how we can all build one would be good! we can even inscribe a design copyright on the side....  ;D

Good work though, flash animation looks like a good mechanical method being used.

-AC

indole_amine

adulterants
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 07:08:00 PM »
Pressure: Car jack hydraulics?

sample output pills.... what are they like?
probably depends on the fillers and binders used..

..has anyone a suggested "recipe" for making nice, smooth pills that don't break apart when touched  :P ?

Common ingredients are:
  • SiO2 and talcum are used to allow for a nice flow of the unpressed pulverized material - anti-caking agent, so to say... (probably not needed here)
  • mannitol, lactose, fructose or cellulose ("microcrystalline" type) help in keeping the goods together
  • lubricating agents like magnesium stearate are used to avoid having the pills stuck in the machine...
  • coating can be done to make things easier to swallow (MDMA has a nasty taste!): it can consist of color, sugar, water, cellulose derivatives, polyvinyls and/or gums and is sprayed over the pressed raw pills, followed by hot air drying

indole_amine

jboogie

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 04:36:00 AM »
swiz used a pair of bench vises that he cranked the shit out of.
..has anyone a suggested "recipe" for making nice, smooth pills that don't break apart when touched ?
the key factor to noncrumbly pills is the presure involved with the press. it didnt make much difference in the mix of binders. i used ta watch this guy ;) -who lives in siberia btw- mix up batches and it only took talc and mcc to make a pill. i would suggest looking up the pharma-purdue patient on the binders in oxycontin-not the new smartpills; the old oxys had a minalmal amount of weird fillers... just dont press the pills to 50,000lbs like they do the oxy or youll probably shit it out whole. the other important ingredient was food grade wax spray. the pressed pills were shaken up in a plastic bag blown up with air after they were sprayed with a lite coat of food grade edible wax sealer.
swiz had something similiar, without the springed top. basicly an inch thick bar of aluminium with staggerd rows of holes drilled thru. another block with corrasponding dowls. locking backplate.
there were other factors also. the pills had to have some moisture for the binders to work at all. if they were moist when they came out- which they were- then someswim had to spread all the pills out to dry or condinsation would form in the bag or bottle and they get crumbly again. swify found heating the plate while they were pressing to bee nice and the addition of one of those little desk heaters that barly blows hot air perfect. the key is to dry the pill quickly without making the inner moisture turn to steam. :)

jboogie

it doesnt stop the pill from working!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »
Can stomach acid easily break-down a wax?
i dunno, but it doesnt stop the goodies from beeing absorbed! back in the day 8) , when sqwid made pills, there werent any pill presses around. we just put the goodies in candy/food wax- called a "jelly roll". molly in the green, go-go in the reds... they were only the size of a penny or nickel and they came in five exciting flavors.
but back to the ?, the wax doesnt stop anything from working. and you werent eating like an ounce of wax, maybee 3/4 gram at most! the spray wax i was speaking of is a food grade edible wax, its very thin-has a low viscosity. some varieties even have antioxidents(vitC) in them,these are mostly found in the health food stores though.

methyl_ethyl

USP Gastric Fluid, Simulated, Test Solution
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 02:32:00 AM »
I have been meaning to post this for some time, however I was waiting for the right thread.  This thread seems to be a  proper home for the following "recipe":

USP 27 NF 22

Gastric Fluid, Simulated- TS

Dissolve 2.0 g of sodium chloride and 3.2 g of purified pepsin, that is derived from porcine stomach mucosa, with an activity of 800 to 2500 units per mg of protein, in 7.0 mL of hydrochloric acid and sufficient water to make 1000 mL. [NOTE—Pepsin activity is described in the Food Chemicals Codex specifications under General Tests and Assays. ] This test solution has a pH of about 1.2.

;D   Just in case y'all really want to create a model for pressed pill digestion in humans that adheres to USP standards.  Of course this should be used in conjunction with the USP dissolution apparatus

Post 520145

(methyl_ethyl: "USP Dissolution Apparatus", Stimulants)
that I have posted in the stimulants forum  :) ....

regards,

m_e

scram

70 to 85% active 4 to 5% stearic acid finely...
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 07:50:00 AM »
70 to 85% active
4 to 5% stearic acid finely mortered
12 to 25% micro cyrstalline cellulose
produce a 4.5 x 9.5mm pill with overall weight of ~240-270mg
shiny too. And yes it was too much for most people. But they liked it that way.

indole_amine

crossreferencing
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »
Methyl_Ethyl and Scram: YESSSS! That's exactly the info that was still lacking for a complete howto on tableting!!  ;D

Pickler: but you didn't have the nice idea of equally sized input- and output-holes, did you? But lots of good info about pill binders in your old pillPress thread!

But in the same thread, someone mentioned the different pressures needed for different binders; according to him lactose was the only one suitable for pressures below 1T, whereas MCC required 5T+ for good results? (Scram?)

Also, they talk about engraving small logos onto the ends of the pressing rods... (what about maybe a BEE)?  ;D

(Thanks for sharing your knowledge.)

And it seems some bee named Chicken is quite a professional in tableting:

Post 371152 (missing)

(Chicken: "Powdered milk", General Discourse)

Post 371158 (missing)

(Chicken: "Tablet specifications", General Discourse)

And another similar idea:

Post 190249 (missing)

(GlaseIs: "Design for a press", Chemicals & Equipment)

(strangely it looks EXACTLY like the one depicted here...  :) )

indole_amine

hest

Pills
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 08:01:00 AM »

70 to 85% active
4 to 5% stearic acid finely mortered
12 to 25% micro cyrstalline cellulose

That will make my DOM pill's quite small.
By the way Ballmilling the misture for 3-5H(plastic bottel, stealballs and an old dewalt) works greathe.
It's the MCC that's hold it all so high presure will aloud you to use less MCC and low presure mean that you need 50% MCC (it's not ekspencive, and that kg (for chromatographie) I bought will last my life

pooky

Agni..
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 11:05:00 PM »
a very good idea but there is a simpler/faster/cheaper way.When P first started,P did basically the same thing except for there was a larger piece of 18" square steel 1/2 inch thick with 100 holes slowly(smoothly) drilled through it,P forgets the size-but small.This sat flush on  another piece of steel the same size,and they were hinged and clamped together.Some nice very hard steel rods were cut about an 1.5inches high,these snugly fit into the holes and were polished flat on the pill end.
Get a small sledge/large ball peen hammer and experiment.Scrape in your favourite powder and you soon learn the weight/strokes and sound/higher note the pin makes when the tabs are where you want them.If P pounded the crap out of them (4 good swings) they were like stones.Then unhinge the thing and the tabs fall out.Pull out the pins,repowder,insert the pins and get beating.

P recommends making them a little strong and candy coating them if you want to get primo dollar with high demand..

Notes: you'll have to mess around with hole size vs. depth vs. dose + binder  needed to fill the hole.When they are half full,bang the plate and some holes will settle more than others.
You can really produce with this...
P went on to buy a rotary press,but it had its finicky days...

Agni

candy coating
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 06:08:00 AM »
I like your idea of candy coating. did you brew up your own candy coating (if so how) or is there something you would like to recomend that can be bought (of course no sources etc...) Id love to make pills/candy and sell it on wax paper looking a lot like dot candy(?) believe acid was once sold liek that...

indole_amine

no pressure while filling the holes!
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 02:23:00 PM »
Please make sure you don't bump the filled plate containing the unpressed pill mass on the ground; the only way to make sure all pills have the same weight/dose is to fill the chambers just flat off, don't stuff up anything. Just let the pill mass fall into the holes, and scrape away what didn't fall into them. Then press (a hammer is indeed a cool ghetto alternative, didn't think of that before!).

indole_amine

ApprenticeCook

Candy coating..... Hmm, couldnt you drop warm...
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 02:44:00 PM »
Candy coating.....

Hmm, couldnt you drop liquid sugar (tofee!) over the pressed pills? or what would adding a small amount of glycerol to the pill mix pre pressing do?

-AC

jboogie

candy coating...
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2004, 08:49:00 PM »
ever eat any ritalin? or norpramin? or a half dozen other Rx's that are candy coated? lots of children meds have this coating to keep the kids from gaggin- most kids havent aquired a taste for amphetemines. im sure this wouldnt bee to hard to research.
In regards to pookie:
My press that i described was very similar; hinged with a backplate, small rods attached to a corrasponding plate, side lock. i never tried a hammer. i used the bench vice. once the contents were placed in the pill hole, the plate was locked and clamped in the vice till i couldnt turn it anymore. :)  
another note: how bout those new alavert pills? they disolve on contact with spit/water and they taste good (as good as pills can taste...) and are handlable. any patent info here?

pooky

Reply..
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2004, 09:25:00 PM »
Agni: a candy coater is a rotating heated stainless tub/drum (seen them occasionally on online auction,you know the one, or google it to find a supplier)and P bought the coating from an industrial candy supplier-to which you add your own flavour/colouring.The smallest ones can do 50,000 at a time.The hot syrup is added in small amounts over several hours,then a little mineral oil or edible wax at the end to make 'em shine like Skittles.Yum Yum Yum.Some idiots claimed the reds were stronger than the blue ones.
You probably could ghetto one up from a mixing bowl/shaft/motor/halogen light for heat with much experimenting..but P saw one auction a month ago,ready to go-sold for $150.

Boogie: a vice is a fine way to press, but P found beating things to be therapeutic after thinking about the ex- girlfriend.

jboogie

to coat... see my above post for a ghetto...
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 11:30:00 PM »
to coat... see my above post for a ghetto surface coater. a trash bag blown up w/pills inside. add liquid and shake till coated. works alot better than you think. works on the ceasar salad principal.
BTW- to any nubees, the ceasar principal is not actully standard scientific practice... so dont UTFSE for info on it- check the food network. ;)