Author Topic: 2C-B Attempt #3  (Read 1846 times)

Oxygen69

2C-B Attempt #3
« on: October 24, 2003, 12:03:00 AM »
Note: The following story is a work of fiction.

----

A researcher recently attempted to make 2C-B for the third time.  These are the notes from his lab notebook:

2:30a A 250 mL flask is weighed with a paper collar and found to weigh 113.68 g.

2:37a A piece of paper was weighed and found to weigh 1.37 g.  A quantity of the presumed 2C-H HCl in the form of fine white needles was weighed on the paper.  Weight (w/ paper): 29.35 g.  Weight (w/o paper): 29.35 - 1.37 = 27.98 g.

2:44a The 2C-H was placed in a 500 mL beaker.  50.00 mL H2O was added.  Most of the 2C-H dissolved.

2:57a An additional 10 mL was added.  This appeared to dissolve all of the 2C-H.  The solution was placed in a 250 mL separation funnel.

3:04a 40 mL H2O was placed in a beaker.  12.5 g NaOH was added.  The hot solution was cooled in the refrigerator.

3:21a The NaOH solution was added to the funnel.  The solution became cloudy and separated into two layers, with the 2C-H freebase on top.

Note: The researcher was surprised to learn that 2C-H freebase floated on water after having read

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/2cb.large-scale.bromination.html

3:27a The water layer was drained.  The 2C-H was placed in a 250 mL round-bottom flask that had been previously weighed.  The weight was taken: 143.46 g

3:34a Since the calculated weight of the freebase was 29.78g, it was assumed that some water had gotten into the oil.  23 g was used as the weight instead.

3:38a 40*23/24.8 = 37 mL of GAA was added.  Not liking the smell of GAA, I attached a reflux column.  The mixture was placed under stirring.

3:51a Time for the scary part.  37 mL of GAA was placed in a 50 mL Erlenmeyer flask.  6.5 mL Br2 was added to it, and the solutions were combined.  The reaction mixture took on a black color.

Note: This was done without a fume hood in a dorm room.  That was crazy!

4:12a Disaster!  The flask fell on the ground and broke.  2C-B congeals on my floor.  I scape up the dark brown sludge and place it in a Buchner funnel, wash it with 2x3 mL GAA (improving the color considerably).

~4:30a Dissolved some of the scrapings in H2O.  Filtered.  Placed the solution in a separation funnel.  Added NaOH solution to make the solution strongly basic.  Noted that a black oil settled out.  Added 10 mL DCM.  Mixed.  Allowed to settle.

Note:  2C-B freebase is heavier than H2O.

~5:00a Went to get razor blades at the grocery store for further scraping.  Noted a strong scent of bromine in the neighborhood.

~5:20a Removed DCM layer.  Added an additional 10 mL.  Mixed.  Allowed to settle.  Drained DCM and added to other DCM.

6:04a Stripped DCM under vacuum.

6:54a Stripping finished.  About 2mL of a dark oil remains.  Took a nap.

5:30p Placed the oil in a pre-weighed GAA/H2O mix w/ 3 mL H2O and 1 mL GAA.  An additional 1 mL H2O was added.  Weight: 46.70 g w/ beaker.  Weight w/ freebase: 50.93 g.  Weight of freebase: 4.23 g.  An additional 3.4 mL H2O was added.  Not quite everything dissolved, so the beaker was heated slightly.  3.00 mL 37% HCl was added.  Crystals formed quickly.  The mixture was filtered, washed with 3x2 mL H2O and washed with 2x2 mL DCM.  DCM appears to dissolve 2C-B HCl slightly.  The substance remained a tan color.

6:45p The glistening tan 2C-B HCl crystals were weighed and found to be 1.67 g.  10 mg were placed in a capsule, which was eaten.

2:29a I experienced no nausea after eating the pill, which was eaten immediately before a full meal.  Within an hour, I noticed that I was tripping quite hard, but that I still had very good clarity of thought and my decision-making processes seemed to be intact.  I think I peaked at around 10:00.  The experience was extremely pleasant.  Unfortunately, though this product is quite pure, it is not pure enough.  A full distillation of the freebase is in order, and DCM cannot be substituted for ether in the final washes.  I have further floor scrapings that will hopefully contain more product that can be treated appropriately.

Additional testing of the product will be done in the next few days.  My skills are rapidly improving.

----

Oxygen69

Midi

wha???
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2003, 03:56:00 AM »
Note: This was done without a fume hood in a dorm room.  That was crazy!

Dude, your "skills" arent going to mean shit when your sitting in jail, you really should be way more careful!! That much Br with no fume hood in a dorm room!!!!

Your nutz! :o

amine

oxygen, how did u reduce your nitrostyrene to...
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2003, 06:13:00 AM »
oxygen, how did u reduce your nitrostyrene to the amine?
(just curious?)

Oxygen69

fiction, etc
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2003, 07:20:00 PM »
amine:  The story was a work of fiction; I performed none of the procedures.

amine

I do apologise for the misunderstanding, but...
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 11:56:00 PM »
I do apologise for the misunderstanding, but in your story, the reduction, how was this performed?

xspikehead

So secure online but not in your dorm room?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 10:21:00 PM »
That's a killer write-up and very fun to read, and the language that you use will defenitely keep you anonymous online, but DUDE!  That IS one step before literally posting this write-up outside your door for all to read.  I don't know you whatsoever, but PLEASE find some place where the smell won't arouse curiosity or suspicion, because too many good, intelligent people get sent to jail by making simple FATAL errors such as not using fume hoods.  That and I doubt that these fumes are healthy.

Oxygen

Reduction, etc
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 10:50:00 PM »
This screenname was free, so I took it.   :)

amine: In the story, the researcher obtained the 2C-H several months ago while he was an exchange student in Guatemala.  He did not perform the reduction himself; he didn't even know for sure that he had the hydrochloride salt of 2C-H.  It is assumed that the reduction would be performed with LiAlH4 as outlined by Shulgin.

xspikehead: Thank you for your comments and concerns.

Oxygen

bioassay
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 10:35:00 PM »
More fiction:

The researcher did some additional washes of crushed 2C-B crystals with GAA and DCM until the powder was nearly white. Several people ate 25 mg quantities despite the researcher's warnings. Several people also ate 10 mg quantities and found the substance to be quite active at that level.  The substance was extremely well-liked and much preferred to 2C-I or 5-MeO-DIPT. One field agent reported slight nausea after eating 2C-B and drinking beer, and another field agent hillariously reported that the substance was inactive, but other than that there were no complaints. The researcher believes that the substance was 95-99% pure, but he has not done a melting point test.

It was observed that redosing at the end of a 2C-B experience did cause a strong second psychedelic "trip," contrary to what the researcher might have expected. The researcher would like to investigate further to see if there is a tolerance built as with LSD and to see if there are cross-tolerances. Unfortunately, he has run out of 2C-B and will have to make some more in order to do that. This time the purification will be done by distillation and the formation of 2C-B HCl as described by Shulgin. The researcher may also attempt to synthesize some 2C-B HBr. He thinks that the best way to do this would be to dissolve 2C-B freebase in ether and gas the solution with dry HBr gas that is produced by dropping H3PO4 onto NaBr.

----

In "The Action of the Psychoactive Drug 2C-B on Isolated Rat Thoracic Aorta" by Lobos et al (General Pharmacology vol 23, no 6, pp 1139-1142, 1992), it is suggested that 2C-B is a partial alpha-adregenic agonist that has a synergystic effect with NE when the concentration of NE is low. I suppose this would explain why 2C-B is considered slightly speedy. It is also suggested that it is a 5-HT2 partial agonist, and some concentration/response reasoning behind this is given.

It has been suggested that 2C-B is relatively safe (ex:

http://www.jatox.com/abstracts/1999/may-june/227-deboer.htm

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal020.shtml

), but I'd like to see some hard evidence, and that evidence doesn't seem to be contained in the journals that are available to me. Does anyone know where I can find information on the LD50 and side effects of 2C-B?

Rhodium

Prep of 2C-B.HBr & The Large Human Experiment
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 01:31:00 AM »
I don't think that you will find any harder evidence than what you already have found, as I'm not aware of any thorough toxicological or clinical studies being done on 2C-B, other than the ongoing experiment consisting of the thousands and thousands of people who together have ingested millions of doses of 2C-B over the last 25 years without any ill effects.

For the preparation of 2C-B.HBr I suggest

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/2cb.bromination.html

According to reports I have recieved, the procedure produces a product which is clean on 1H-NMR (D2O).