The Hive > Tryptamine Chemistry

why use a solvent at all?

(1/4) > >>

indole_amine:
Why should a solvent work better in terms of promoting the H2O to the dessicant? Simply placing the LA in a desiccator under vacuum and slight heating...

(can be improvised with RBF, ground-glass hose adaptor and heating mantle - filled with mol. sieves and containing a test tube/vial or similar with your ergot carboxyl compounds(?))

But be careful, this may be considered rocket science!  :P

No, just joking. But I really think that dissolving the hydrate in DCM/similar wouldn't be of any advantage; and further the dehydration requires elevated temperatures and reduced pressure to proceed, and I doubt that DCM or CHCl3 have such a great affinity for water that it will positively affect the drying process. Have you any reason to believe that solvent power in this case suffices instead of heating under high vacuum? Unless you have, I would say that the combo vacuum/heat and the H2O removal through vapor phase these two factors facilitate.

And molecular sieves are also a very suitable gas drying agent...

indole_amine

Lilienthal:
In theory this should work fine  :) . Keep in mind that in reality the lysergic acid might be absorbed by the molsieves or that the the molsieve might catalyze degradation reactions (pure amines over molsieves turn brown over a week or so). So better try it with a small amount of pure substance first.

indole_amine:
Did you mean solid imines in a desiccator loaded w/sieves 3A? And they partially decomposed after already one week? I know several rxns where imines are very stable towards being dried with sieves, even when dissolved in various solvents during drying  ;)  - I think that especially in a vacuum, the sieves shouldn't give off any ions(?) that could hurt the lysergic acid being deposited in a separate open container, sitting on a nice bed of zeolithes...

References for molecular sieves of any type giving off trace particles under reduced pressure? Eager to hear...

indole_amine

Lilienthal:
It was a typo, I was talking about liquid amines.

Bubbleplate:
Well, the reason I'm leaning toward drying in solvent vs. vacuum oven, is that I'm just very leary about putting a sensitive material like Lysergic acid in an oven and heating, even with a hard vacuum. I'm thinking that with a solvent like DCM, water is somewhat miscible and the Molecular sieves (4A) should just suck it up. However, I'm not sure of the strength of the hydrate bond in Lysergic acid...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version