The Hive > Chemicals & Equipment

500ml 3-neck flask uses?

<< < (2/4) > >>

12cheman12:
Is there something im missing? sulfuric acid is being dropped onto salt... and it states the salt is saturated with hydrochloric acid.
Do you pre soak your salt with HCL before dripping sulfuric onto it? is this the way its done in SOMM?

LoW_JacK:
never tried it. Aluminum and muratic with a few gas traps and $2.39 worth of aquarium tubing , using left over H2O2 bottles for traps with cotton or paper towel stuffed in there to absorb moisture.

It's a tempramental reaction as a way to gassing and by far cant be the best.....but i've read that you need rock salt and pure sulfuric acid as opposed to battery electolyte replacement acid for this to work...? Right?

KiZaDm:

Sedrick:
Alot of the time it is really only necessary to use two necks. The third neck is not actually essential (depending on what you are doing), it even has the tendancy to annoy me when I dont make use of it. It is used for fancy things such as thermometer adaptor, pH adaptor and Cannula. Spiking the vessel with nitrogen also makes use of this third neck. 500 mL is a good figure to use. Mine is actually 1000mL with 24/29 joints. It does have a slightly manic presence though. Sometimes I feel like I quite literally have the globe in my hands!  :-[  :o  If you are going to be doing multiple gassings consider preparing a stock solution perhaps with some anhydrous MgSO4 added. My Yugoslavian neighbours said it is possible to use conc acid and that gassing really is not what you need to be doing if you can avoid it.

methyl_ethyl:
Are all three necks 19/22?

Quite simply NO.  I don't know of any piece of glassware that is only available in a single taper.  Not to say that such a piece of glass does not exist, but as far as three neck flasks are concerned they come in many different tapers and the necks themselves can be of different arrangements and shapes.

regards,

m_e

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version