The Hive > Stimulants

help with non polar extraction...

<< < (5/6) > >>

mickyfinn:
Apologies fellow bees,

Retention has been problematic due to lack of medication and all the review, research, and trying to apply lately.

SWIM took a left turn and after following it forgot it wasn't actually a main road but a shortcut. For whatever reason, SWIM  takes a little longer to understand or retain some things, even with excellent write-ups a guide. SWIM has read that post workup article 3 times and is about to go through it in the lab step by step...he will be taking copious notes in hopes of refraining from making further erroneous assumptions in the future. He will do his best...

Note to self: PM the question to someone next time instead of taking the thread on a tangient, if they don't reply - no worries.

Once again SWIMFINN apologizes for any inconvenience and will now return you to your previously scheduled dreams..already in progress.

ChemNewbie:
In the past, when i did use the gassing method, i would add dh20 to the np after gassing and seperate the dh20 and evap.
--- End quote ---

Swic does the same thing, to make sure he gets every little bit of product out of the NP. He even takes it a step further, by evapping the NP sometimes, and recrystalizing the resulting nasty looking gooey shit in ISO, and tone in the freezer. You'd be surprised just how much product gets left half dissolved in the NP layer from not getting the pH quite low enough.

SHORTY:
When titrating there is a visual indication when the ph is 7 or below.  If you do a wash with saltwater and after shaking the saltwater and flipping over the sep funnel, observe the upper part of the sep.  It will look like it is dry and will not have any drops of water on it. Well i noticed that the same thing happens when you reach the ph at which the salt is formed.  Sometimes there will also be small drops of water on the sep in the np layer.  These droplets will not be there when the ph is 7 or below.  Using this as a indicator has saved me alot of time which would have been spent checking the ph.

wareami:
The kidz did away with pH testing long ago when they took Jacked's advice about relying on visuals.
Since their experimentation only allowed for small batch testing, getting the maximum return required more observation than they initially started seeing when they began.
SHORTY makes an interesting point about the dh2o that collects, stuck on glass style.
Ibee was amazed how much product he was leaving behind by not forcing those droplets down into the acidic pool.
Ibee's experience also slightly differs from shorty's in that pH 7 and less is when the amine is in the water, those droplets of honey infused dh2o will always be stuck on glass if not washed down with a pipette or other sucker UPper device.
The shape of those bubbles also has a story to tell in most cases!
Here's a link to what Ibee discovered early on about stuck on glass bubbles and what to do with them. Just force them off the sides with Ibee's re-patented cleareyes pipette!
Post 370666 (missing) (wareami: "SweetBee", Chemicals & Equipment)

SHORTY:
For some reason when i see the bubbles on the side of the sep in the np section the ph is between 8-11.  Sometimes they are not there at all.  When i hit 7 or below they are never there and the the upper part lools completely dry.  Do you think humidity or ambient temp might be a factor causing the difference between my findings and yours?  My lab is very hot and humid most of the time.  I just figured that the same thing was happening as when doing a saltwater wash of the np.  Only instead of adding salt the salt was the meth.  If that makes any sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version