Author Topic: Drying Ether  (Read 2891 times)

Elementary

Drying Ether
« on: June 18, 2002, 09:09:00 AM »
In most grignard procedures the ether to be used is normally refluxed with sodium to ensure that it is completely anhydrous.

My question is, can lithium metal be used to dry the ether instead of sodium ?

John Lennon - Working Class Hero

Osmium

Yes, that should work too.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2002, 09:27:00 AM »
Yes, that should work too.

But the whole point becomes moot if you don't know how to properly handle the ether afterwards. If you simply put it into a bottle and have no idea about properly handling stuff under anhydrous conditions then such drying is pretty much useless.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

starlight

and if that is difficult
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2002, 12:38:00 PM »
and if you are not able to maintain anydrous conditions, then maybe you could use ultrasound to initiate Grignard reactions....

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/grignard.wet.html

not that i have ever tried it.  :)

./

El_Zorro

Well, Os, you gonna keep those anhydrous ...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2002, 03:19:00 PM »
Well, Os, you gonna keep those anhydrous condition tips to yourself, or are you gonna share 'em with the group? ;)

Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, Rage, against the dying of the light.  --Dylan Thomas

Osmium

Well, obviously you shouldn't pour that ether ...
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2002, 03:31:00 PM »
Well, obviously you shouldn't pour that ether from a flask into a bottle through a funnel! Store it in the flask under inert gas, transfer it with oven-dried pipettes, syringes or flexible, needle-tipped teflon hoses, always use dry N2 or Ar, dry all your glassware and everything else before use and purge them with the gas, find out what Schlenk glassware looks like etc.

http://www.ilpi.com/inorganic/glassware/vacline.html

http://www.ilpi.com/inorganic/glassware/schlenkflask.html

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

lugh

Dehumidifier
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2002, 04:55:00 PM »
Those are all good tips, but bees should know that in addition to what was previously posted, SWIL likes to keep the humidity down with a dehumidifier; since SWIL doesn't live in the desert  ;D

El_Zorro

I wanna know why nobody uses CO 2 as an inert ...
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2002, 07:57:00 PM »
I wanna know why nobody uses CO2 as an inert gas.  It's gotta be the cheapest and easist gas to buy, and it is completely unwatched.  Not to say the other gases are watched, just that CO2 is less watched.  Is CO2 not inert enough?  Is it not dry enough?  Why does no one use CO2?

Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, Rage, against the dying of the light.  --Dylan Thomas

Bwiti

Won't most Grignards react with C02?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2002, 09:17:00 PM »
Won't most Grignards react with C02?

Love my country, fear my government.

former_chemist

CO2
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2002, 12:08:00 AM »
CO2 is sold for use as an inert gas for welding.  Argon is prefered though. Nitrogen is also used but that depends on the metal, some form nitrides which is either good or bad depending on the application.

Oh you mean for a chemical reaction!  CO2 is fine as long as your reaction isn't harmed by acid. CO2 reacts with basic compounds and complexes (like sodium and magnesium) to form carbonates.

lugh

Carboxylic Acids
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2002, 03:18:00 AM »
Carbonation of the Grignard reagent is a standard method for preparing carboxylic acids, unless that's the product desired, one shouldn't introduce carbon dioxide  :)

terbium

Dryness is relative.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2002, 08:46:00 PM »
Is it possible to dry ether with epsoms? 
Dry enough for use as the solvent in a Grignard reaction? Probably not, magnesium sulfate is not a very powerfull drying agent.

El_Zorro

I meant in relation to shit like keeping ether ...
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2002, 09:31:00 PM »
I meant in relation to shit like keeping ether anhydrous while you're getting it into a flask for storage, storing the ether under CO2 for storage, etc.  I would go ahead and use Ar anyway for a reaction.