Author Topic: SnCl4 - stannic chloride, anhydrous  (Read 3028 times)

Organikum

SnCl4 - stannic chloride, anhydrous
« on: June 06, 2004, 06:36:00 AM »
Apparatus and method for the production of anhydrous stannic chloride and a question

Apparatus:

from: Georg Brauer: Handbuch der präparativen anorganischen Chemie, 3. Ausgabe, 1975

Additional information:
"Method of making anhydrous tin chlorid, 1912, to Castner Electrolytic Alkali Company"

Patent US1018805

To the picture:
The chlorine reacts with the granulated tin and the increase of volume drives the SnCl4 which is a liquid over into the collecting flask. If some SnCl4 is by hand it is to be added to the tin - this guarantees a smooth start of the reaction. The reaction vessel is first to be heated and after the reaction kicked in to be cooled by a waterbath.
If no SnCl4 is used at start higher temperatures are needed to get it going. In this case it is favorable to adapt an reflux condensor instead of the outlet tube for the reaction will get hot fast and one doesnt want to loose the SnCl4.
Outlet tube or condensor are to be connected to a fumehood or a caustic scrubber - the outlet ending not IN but directly OVER the surface of the NaOH solution.

To the patent:
The patent tells us that it is not necessary to use absolute dry chlorine and pure tin if the SnCl4 is distilled lateron. Hydrated SnCl4 drops out as crystals anyways - a nice feature of tin  ;D

Anybody not so experienced in chemistry and anybody not owning a fumehood is strictly advised to use the suggested reflux condensor design or he/she/it will regret it badly. Promised. I did.

Question
Will Al added to anhydrous SnCl4 reduce this to the metal or to SnCl2?
Or - gasp! - not at all?
Steel is inert to anhydrous SnCl4.

I guess it should be the metal, but whats sure in chemistry?

java

"SnCl4 reduction....."
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 01:01:00 PM »
Org.   I ran into this while reading some redox problems....it might help

Fe  +  SnCl4  >  FeCl3  +  SnCl2

Addendum by Java,

or try this ,

NaNO2 + 2 HCl + 3/2 SnCl4  >>>>>1/2 SnCl2 + NaCl + 2 H2O

Organikum

Oh yes, thanks java. Regarding the pain it is...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 02:34:00 PM »
Oh yes, thanks java.

Regarding the pain it is to produce AlCl3 or FeCl3 and the ease serious amounts of anhydrous SnCl4 can be made this helps a lot.

My approach is to produce the AlCl3 (or FeCl3) by Al (Fe) suspended in SnCl4. Venting in dry Cl2 will regenerate the SnCl4 in situ. Practically unlimited amounts of anhydrous AlCl3 (or FeCl3) may be produced this way with just a few hundred milliliters of SnCl4 which can be reused over and over again.
So it works on Al - but ferric chloride is almost as good if not better....

Hydrated SnCl4 can be dried by distillation from conc. H2SO4 says one of my 19th century chembooks. Hydrated SnCl4 is made by dissolving tin in HCl and venting chlorine into the solution. But for serious amounts of stannic chloride the before described way is favorable.