Author Topic: Bromosafrole Grignard?  (Read 2459 times)

El_Zorro

Bromosafrole Grignard?
« on: June 22, 2002, 09:11:00 AM »
Please forgive me, as I have absolutely no formal OChem training, but I got this idea the other day.  Say someone whipped up some bromosafrole.  Could they not form a grignard reagent with it, then react it with N-bromo Methanamine, and I guess hydrolize with sat. ammonium chloride, and give MDMA?  I couldn't find a bromoamine, or anything like that, the closest thing I could think of was getting hydroxylamine and brominating it in the same way as allyl acohol-->allyl bromide.  Could this work?

Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, Rage, against the dying of the light.  --Dylan Thomas

Rhodium

RMgX -> RNH2
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2002, 09:48:00 AM »
The grignard could definitely be made. As a first test, I'd reccommend that you try to react it with methoxyamine (hydroxylamine methyl ether) followed by normal workup to get MDA.

I think it's a shame nobody has tried that out yet.

El_Zorro

Holy shit!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2002, 09:43:00 PM »
I actually asked an intelligent question about organic chemistry!  I don't know what to think.  Maybe I should think about trying it. ;)

Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, Rage, against the dying of the light.  --Dylan Thomas