Author Topic: making palladium catalyst  (Read 4120 times)

bumblebeetuna

Re: making palladium catalyst
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2000, 12:21:00 AM »
thanks,  i have been doing alot of research on alternate methods for all kinds of precursos , i have just made an elaborate write up on making ephedrine,  with exact precudures for making 200 grams of p2p-alchol in 4 liters of water, with very easy to find otc chemicals,   but .... that is to come later,  i need to experiment a bit first... hey thanks again for your support, i m glad to see some realistic logical people...and its she

SuNNySide

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2000, 04:50:00 PM »

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/epns/pdf/ipr2_10.pdf

#1)NEVER MAKE DRUGS OR DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL
IT'S AGAINST THE LAW!!!!!!

SuNNySide

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2000, 03:24:00 PM »
Platinum and Palladium- If you have a new catalytic converter  that you want to get palladium out of here is how To insure high purity of the platinum and palladium, you will need to re-refine this material. Put this material in a fresh aqua regia bath. However, heat the acid to simmering. Continue heating until all the platinum metals are dissolved (that may take 1-2 hours). When completely dissolved at 1 ounce of ammonium chloride for every ounce of dissolved platinum metals. The platinum will precipitate as a red mud and palladium will be orange. If you want to leave the iridium in the platinum, then wait for it to precipitate before recovering the platinum and palladium. Iridium will precipitate as a blue-black mud after the platinum precipitates.

foxy2

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2000, 04:48:00 PM »
Sunnyside
How would you suggest separateing the salts once you have them????
Anyone else have any ideas?
Maybee a fractional crystallization???

Foxy Is Interested

bumblebeetuna

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2000, 06:58:00 PM »
I seen a post about this.....but ?Ii dont remember what it was... check teh hive

Mystic

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2000, 07:36:00 PM »
C10H15N: good point... Now if you'd please take your boot out of my ass.  :P

Wait a damn minute....

Ballistic

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2000, 01:55:00 AM »
Could one substatute one palladium catalyst for another?
Example:Recipe calls for Palladium Black, but all I have
is 5% palladium on carbon. Is there a ratio between the
different catalyst that anyone knows of or is it calculated
by how much palladium is in each kind of catalyst?

The rain in Maine falls mainly down the drain.

Osmium

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2000, 02:02:00 AM »
Bumblebeetuna, check a good industrial chemistry book the next time you are at the library. Kirk-Othmer for example. It contains all the information you need about separation of platinum metals

bumblebeetuna

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2000, 05:58:00 AM »
huh? i think foxy wants to know that... I know I have already read a post on seperating pd from pdcl3, i think it was called palladium black.....not sure tho... ::)

SuNNySide

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2000, 06:37:00 PM »

Sunnyside
How would you suggest separateing the salts once you have them????
Anyone else have any ideas?
Maybee a fractional crystallization???

Foxy Is Interested

precipitate with DMG (dimethylgloximene)

Chromic

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2000, 01:23:00 PM »
Has anyone tried dissolving Pd metal in concentrated H2O2 with concentrated HCl(aq)?

Electrochemically, it would seem to work, and it would probably work quite fast, even faster than Bright Star's method:

H2O2 + 2 H+ + 2 e- -> 2 H2O (+1.776V)
Pd  -> Pd2+  + 2 e- (-0.83V)

I imagine this reaction would also work with copper metal (probably pretty fast too) and mercury metal (probably about the same speed) as well. I don't have any palladium or mercury metal lying around so I can't try this myself.

I'd still love to hear someone explain to me how Pd(s) + Cu2+ is supposed to give Pd2+. I bet oxygen is required for this reaction to work and I bet it only occurs in acidic conditions... so a stir bar in the flask with the coin would speed up the reaction immensely...

Chromic

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2000, 09:44:00 PM »
Yeah, copper gives a very very dark green solution in a couple hours w/45ml 3% peroxide and 15ml conc. HCl. A good source of high purity copper is copper tubing... of course, everyone has got copper salts lying around, but it might be useful for making Pd/Hg salts. I would love for someone to try it.

Triton

Anyone know if this would work with Pd?
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2002, 01:52:00 PM »
Anyone know if this would work with Pd?