Author Topic: phloroglucinol / catechol / pyrogallol  (Read 2894 times)

starlight

phloroglucinol / catechol / pyrogallol
« on: March 04, 2002, 10:42:00 PM »
Hi,

Both catechol and pyrogallol are available OTC in many countries, wheras phloroglucinol is both harder to find and more expensive.

Does anyone know which (if any) of catechol or pyrogallol would make the best substitute for phloroglucinol as a nitrite scavenger when using C2H5I/NaNO2 in DMSO to produce Nitroethane?

many thanks

./

Aurelius

Re: phloroglucinol / catechol / pyrogallol
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2002, 04:38:00 AM »
any of the phenols will work in that manner, just take some phenol and fuse it with sodium, cool, wash with dH2O and use the phenolic mix that is left over after drying.  it will work fine without purification into its individual parts

SpicyBrown

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2002, 06:04:00 AM »
How much of the scavenger would one want to use in relation to the iodoethane? I assume more catechol would be required than either of the other two, having only two hydroxyl groups present..

SpicyBrown

starlight

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2002, 06:57:00 PM »
I assume you mean fuse the Phenol with Sodium Hydroxide. Since Catechol and Pyrogallol are easier to get hold of than Phenol where some Bees live, I was wondering which was best out of these two (is it a simple matter of the number of aryl hydroxyl groups, or does the arrangement of the groups on the ring make for different nitrite scavenging efficacy? -- i.e. is a meta arrangement much better than ortho?)

Aurelius

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2002, 11:04:00 PM »
don't believe it makes much difference which you use.  use a molar comparison to phloroglucinol in ritter's writeup.  and yes, of course, that was meant to say "sodium hydroxide"