Author Topic: A challenge for the bees: 4-Acetoxy-DIPT synthesis  (Read 6694 times)

freakomatic

A challenge for the bees: 4-Acetoxy-DIPT synthesis
« on: March 21, 2000, 10:57:00 AM »
4-Acetoxy-DIPT is currently uncontrolled/unscheduled, but no one stocks it. From the information I've been able to gather, the effects of 4-Acetoxy-DIPT leave most other tryptamines (and phenethylamines) in the dust.

So far, the only reason I've found for the distinct lack of this compound is that current methods of synthesis are fairly difficult and result in low yields upon crystallization. I figured that if anyone had the interest and ingenuity to come up with a new synthesis, they'd probably be here. I have enough fun just following other's recipes.

If anyone has had success synthesizing 4-Acetoxy-DIPT or knows of a place which still sells it (****** is sold out & discontinued stocking it due to the difficulties mentioned above), please let me know.

I would also be interested in hearing any methods of synthesis you may know of, as I haven't been able to find anything useful.

I apologize if this topic's already been hashed about, but I searched the archives, and nothing turned up ...

Rhodium

Re: A challenge for the bees: 4-Acetoxy-DIPT synthesis
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2000, 08:16:00 PM »
Look in Tihkal (at

http://www.erowid.org/drugs

),  the synthesis is there, but it is not especially easy.

freakomatic

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2000, 12:48:00 AM »
Thanks Rhodium!
I actually already found the TIHKAL synthesis for 4-HO-DIPT, but I was looking for something a little easier. I thought someone here might have a better method.

Rhodium

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2000, 02:15:00 AM »
I doubt there is a simpler method - 4-substituted tryptamines are ridiculously sensitive to deterioration...

CHEM GUY

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2000, 06:59:00 AM »
Isn't 4-hydroxy-tryptamine sold over the counter in health food stores?  I know at the very least that it used to be...

4-OH-tryptamine + excess isopropyl halide -->  DiPT

DiPT + AcOH + concentrated H2SO4 --> 4-Acetoxy-tryptamine

------------------
Everything in this post is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to facilitate illegal activity.  I've done nothing illegal and nor should you.

psyloxy

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2000, 10:36:00 PM »
Show me that health food store, where you get 4-OH-T OTC!!

It is too bad but what you get in the HFS is 5-OH-tryptophan.

I think 4-OH-T is a hallucinogen itself.
It's also called nor-Beaocystin (which is nor-psilocin). Visit the Erowid Mushroom-Vault for more info if you want...

Stay Healthy!
--psyloxy--

rev drone

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2000, 11:47:00 PM »
You could go Shulgins route:

4-acetoxyindole + oxalyl chloride + diisopropyltryptamine ->-> 4-AcODiPT,

or, perhaps you could do a selective oxidation of DiPT, usinging tellurium salts. This selectively will add to the 4-position, but tellurium salts are hyperlethal...

------------------
-the good reverend drone

Ipsa scientia potestas est

CHEM GUY

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2000, 01:21:00 AM »
Ooops, I guess you're right.  Tryptophan not tryptamine...  Anyway, take the 5-OH-tryptophan and reflux with acetone first at about 100-150 C. 

------------------
Everything in this post is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to facilitate illegal activity.  I've done nothing illegal and nor should you.

rev drone

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2000, 08:00:00 PM »
CHEM GUY,

Decarboxylating 5-hydroxytryptophan will lead to 5-hydroxytryptamine (a *long* way from 4-HO-T.) Not useless, but certainly not the same thing.

------------------
-the good reverend drone

Ipsa scientia potestas est

CHEM GUY

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2000, 12:29:00 AM »
You are right sir, yes you are right.  I got mixed up with the 4 and 5. I posted thinking that we were indeed talking about 5-substitued tryptamines, but alas we were not and I didn't even notice until you pointed out my error.  Thank you sir.

Zen

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2002, 12:33:00 AM »
How about the biosynthesis of 4-HO-DIPT via Psilocybe Cubensis's internal Hydroxylase "Tryptamine 4-Monooxygenase, Tryptamine : Oxygen Oxidoreductase, 4-hydroxylating"

If you feed a shroom DMT it pretty much converts it to 4-HO-DMT one for one. It's not to selective of what it'll Hydroxylise so it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch to feed it DIPT and have it pop out 4-HO-DIPT.

-Zen

Psi_Locybe

Re: 4-acetoxy-DiPT - newbee talking out arse, here
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2002, 06:49:00 AM »
4-Acetoxy-DIPT is currently uncontrolled/unscheduled, but no one stocks it. From the information I've been able to gather, the effects of 4-Acetoxy-DIPT leave most other tryptamines (and phenethylamines) in the dust.

Sounds good... but if I understand the law correctly, in the US, the entire {i}grocery{/i} store is scheduled.  :)

{green}I figured that if anyone had the interest and ingenuity to come up with a new synthesis, they'd probably be here. I have enough fun just following other's recipes.[/green]

Well, then... have fun with my theory.  Just remember the 'newbie talking out his arse' bit...

I would also be interested in hearing any methods of synthesis you may know of, as I haven't been able to find anything useful.

I apologize if this topic's already been hashed about, but I searched the archives, and nothing turned up ...

Know of?  No... but I figure the best way to learn is to talk out my arse to the best of my knowledge, and get flamed...

...so, let's say we've got tryptamine, right?  A little sunflower-seed tea, a little peanut oil spiced with sage, a little acid-base... yeah.

...so, umm... let's say it's a chloride salt.  Last I checked, chlorine was sort of pseudohalogenic - a lot of the same behaviors, even if it ain't in the same column, and quirks out...

Now, the basic thought I had was that the halogen would rape some isopropanol... but the trouble is, by my newbie-ass understanding, that it's a 1-step per time... i.e. R-OH + Halogen X -> R-O-open fucking bond (& HydroHalogen X) + Halogen X -> R (& HypoHalogen X).  Chances are, you'd be better off trying to do an unstable hydroxide (see Shulgin on n-OH-MDA) and raping that up with isohalopropanol, 2:1... but, I'll keep going on my current trend...

...aight, so let's say we've pre-raped it, aight?  Like our isopropanol is now a loose and dangling Oxy2p orbital away from being isopropanone (mmm... 2-P... just one 2,5-MeO-3,4-MDP short...)... now if THAT were to hit smack dab into a chloride, iodide, flouride, etc, it'd probably stick... and stick hard... with an OCl (with the example discussed above) floating around in the mix, which you'd have to knock off for pass 2...

...but, my newbee ass do believe that your C3H7O would likely rearrange itself into a C3H6OH... which ain't that helpful when it smacks the tryptohalide salt...

...which probably fucks you with dual-cycle hydroxylation of the tryptamine.  Ouch.  Low yield.  Hopefully, some non-newbie can make the other 'way 'round work... maybe if there's some free halogen ripping off any hydrogen that pops up?  Who knows...

...but let's say, just say, that the TCl + IPA + Cl -> TCl + IP? + HCl -> iPT + HCl +OCl just happens to work, not once, but twice, so that iPTCl + IPA + Cl -> IPTCl + IP? + HCL -> DiPT + HCl + OCl just happens to be true...

...aight, so you've got a batch of psilocybe cubensis, say an oz, and a buttload of DiPT... just sittin' around.  Now, not wanting to be wasteful, let's say you just happen to do a good, solid methanolic alkaloidal extract, chug it down (evaporated, or it's the LAST visuals you get), and do the shait -after- a long, solid trip so as to avoid... err... 'irreproducible' results.  :)

So, you've got these shroom chunkies, right?  Now these shroom chunkies, I think it's Shulgin who goes off in TIHKAL about the fundamental wierdness of the organic-synthetic paradox of biotech 4-OH-DET... anyways, they've got this enzyme, right, which just 4-hydroxylates tryptamines.  Fun!  And, y'know, it just happens to be soluable in water, if I remember what I've read, and insoluable in methanol....

So, let's say that my newbee ass hasn't failed you this far, and you salt it, toss it in inactive shroom juice, and pop out a 4-OH-DiPT... good shroom juice... saves one from having to isolate from a crude 'shotgun method' of hydroxylation via sulfuric acid, or somesuch...

...and let's say we try the same trick, shall we?  Empty a canister of acetylene into a canister of some halogen, say, chlorine... acetylchlorine.  Mmmm... dump a bunch of this in with the 4-OH-DiPT, exploit the hell out of the hydroxymagicmarker, and one -should- end up, in my newbee-ass theory, with 4-Ac-DiPT.

Let the flames begin.  :)

Rev. Psi Locybe, insane alchemist.

dely72

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2002, 07:18:00 AM »
Well not that this is much help...but 4acoDET sounds much more interesting. And as far as either of them being stocked at commercial sources, both have been up until about a month ago, and still continue to be commercially available to some privledged individuals.
4acoDET is almost indistinguishable from psilocybin, and should not be much harder to make then the dipt, but from what I have read both are very very challanging to make. It took the commercial source that we all knew and loved almost a year to successfully get a good yeilding production formula nailed down. 
Anyway I know this does not help answer the original question, but if there is anybody who is going to post some easy unknown method perhaps they should post the easy unknown method to 4acoDET instead, or.......also.

Zen

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2002, 02:19:00 PM »
T + hydroxylate -> 4-HO-T

I find it interesting that you wish to isolate the hydroxylate enzyme. Is this feasible?
Or perhaps the enzyme pathway is more of a biomechanical process and not extractable?
If it is an isolatable compound can anyone define any of its molecular properties, please? If it functioned as proposed it would indiscriminatingly add a hydroxyl group to the 4 position of almost any tryptamine.

TCl + IPA + Cl -> TCl + IP? + HCl -> iPT + HCl +OCl
iPTCl + IPA + Cl -> IPTCl + IP? + HCL -> DiPT + HCl + OCl

If this is possible, I find it profound. In theory you could substitute methanol to yield a methyl radical [CH3] and end up with DMT, no? Or how about t-Butyl Alcohol to a [C1(CH3)3] Tert-butyl radical to form DiTert-ButylTryptamine? I don't think Shulgin really mentions this analogue in his book.. maybe something neat, massive CNS stimulator? 5-MeO-DTBT might be tempting, like Foxy plus.

(T - H) + CH3 -> NMT
(NMT - H) + CH3 -> DMT
(DMT - 2H) + 2CH3 ->DET
(DET - 2H) + 2CH3 -> DIPT
(DIPT - 2H) + 2CH3 -> DTBT

If you could find a way to methylate DMT's N group, from CH3 to C3H7 [CH1(CH3)2] forming DIPT with a couple methyl radicals I'd truly think you're an alchemical saint.

acetylene + chlorine -> acetylchlorine : + 4-OH-T -> 4-Ac-T

This is what preservative dreams could be made from. You could clean up your psilocin to something as stable as psilocybin. The 4-HO compounds degrade rapidly in exposure to air, the phosphate form gives psilocybin an outstanding shelf life. It can't be this easy? If we use 4-HO-T in the isopropyl radical method instead of T, the Cl will probably instigate degradation, actually looks like a "polymerization" of two molecules at the 4 position, but maybe the acetyl form could hold out?

-Zen

Psi_Locybe

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2002, 04:01:00 AM »
T + hydroxylate -> 4-HO-T

I find it interesting that you wish to isolate the hydroxylate enzyme. Is this feasible?
Or perhaps the enzyme pathway is more of a biomechanical process and not extractable?
If it is an isolatable compound can anyone define any of its molecular properties, please? If it functioned as proposed it would indiscriminatingly add a hydroxyl group to the 4 position of almost any tryptamine.

Well, here's everything I know on the subject :

'The occurence and extraction of indole derivatives in six species from four genera of higher fungi were investigated. By using pure methanol for extraction of the mushrooms analysis revealed the highest concentrations of psilocybin and baeocystin. The psilocin content of the species was higher by using aqueous solutions of alcohols than with methanol alone but was an artificial phenomenon caused by enzymatic destruction of psilocybin. The extraction with dilute acetic acid yielded better results than with the water containing alcohols. The simlpe one-step procedure with methanol for the quantitative extraction is still the safest method to obtain the genuine alkaloids from funghal biomass.'

- Jochen Gartz, Journal of Basic Microbiology, 1994, Vol 34, Extraction and analysis of indole derivatives from fungal biomass.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_journal1.shtml

Now, as their concern was a genuine analysis of alkaloids, rather than the isolation of psilocyn, it would seem (though I cannot prove) that the T-4-OHase enzyme would be included in similar soluability; So, for suspected known properties, we have :

High molecular weight (ain't seen a simple enzyme yet).
Soluable in water
Insoluable in MeOH.
Less soluable in acetic acid solution :

'The problem with wet alcohol is that the enzymes which dephosphorylise Psilocybin to the instable Psilcin are also extracted from the biomass. This also occures with acetic acid but to a smaller amount and does not occure at all with pure methanol (ethanol?).'

'course, it's all a stretch.  :)  But, a moderately reasonable one - it but remains for experimentation to decide whether to kick our arses or not.

Now as to the T-4-OH enzyme, all I know comes from Shulgin :

'Normally, this mushroom species dutifully converts N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) to psilocin, by introducing a 4-hydroxyl group into the molecule by something that is probably called an indole 4-hydroxylase by the biochemists. You put DMT in, and you get 4-hydroxy-DMT out, and this is psilocin. Maybe if you put Mickey Mouse in, you would get 4-hydroxy-Mickey Mouse out. It is as if the mushroom psyche didn't really care what it was working with, it was simply compelled to do its sacred duty to 4-hydroxylate any tryptamine it came across. It was observed that if you put N,N-diethyltryptamine (DET, not a material found in nature) into the growing process, the dutiful and ignorant enzymes would hydroxylate it to 4-hydroxy-N,N-diethyltryptamine (4-HO-DET) a potent drug also not known in nature.'

Now, he's speaking of live culture - but, let's just say that this particular enzyme - and this part probably is a 1-step enzymatic process - is also water soluable (likely, though not guaranteed, for reasons outlined above).

This would indicate that any tryptamine alkaloid popped into a water-based 'shroom juice is coming out 4-hydroxylated, neither more nor less.

Hmm..

Oh, forgot that last link...

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/tihkal/tihkal16.shtml

TCl + IPA + Cl -> TCl + IP? + HCl -> iPT + HCl +OCl
iPTCl + IPA + Cl -> IPTCl + IP? + HCL -> DiPT + HCl + OCl

If this is possible, I find it profound. In theory you could substitute methanol to yield a methyl radical [CH3] and end up with DMT, no? Or how about t-Butyl Alcohol to a [C1(CH3)3] Tert-butyl radical to form DiTert-ButylTryptamine? I don't think Shulgin really mentions this analogue in his book.. maybe something neat, massive CNS stimulator? 5-MeO-DTBT might be tempting, like Foxy plus.

Hmm... it does sound rather interesting... I'll have to look up my analogue n-chain info.  Maybe get a predictive effect.

The theory behind what I put down above, though, is the concept behind alkyl halide alkloxylation - most commonly found in the MeI + R-OH -> HI + R-MeO.  Mmm... methoxy, I love you... :)  It should hopefully work 'backwards,' using the halide salt of tryptamine...

...it's a bit more conventional in the hydroxyacetylation, though...

(T - H) + CH3 -> NMT
(NMT - H) + CH3 -> DMT
(DMT - 2H) + 2CH3 ->DET
(DET - 2H) + 2CH3 -> DIPT
(DIPT - 2H) + 2CH3 -> DTBT

If you could find a way to methylate DMT's N group, from CH3 to C3H7 [CH1(CH3)2] forming DIPT with a couple methyl radicals I'd truly think you're an alchemical saint.

I think, though I'm not certain, that it's easier to do it in a one-step... but that's not too likely unless one is swapping nitrogen, if one's starting material is DMT.  I reckon, if one were to continue to use the haloalkylation method, that one would have to oxidize and swap... find a way to make DMT into DMeOHT, and then hit it up with whichever alkyl halide one wishes...

hmm... I'm not certain it wants to oxidize, there... maybe if the oxidizing agent were attracted to the amine tail... maybe...

...'till then, there's always strong acid to create indole-ethylene, removing the amine (good luck  ;) ), oxidization with sulfuric acid to create indole-2-ethanol, further oxidation with ammonium nitrate to swap it to indole-2-ethanone, and a reductive di-whatever-amination... or, for that matter, one would probably get better yields with such a tail going back to our friend, alkyl halogenation... and skiping the ammonium nitrate step... 2 DiXylaneAmine Iodide + indole-2-ethanol.  1/2 your DXAI is now HI and free DXA, and the other half should be forming DXT...

...but I'm hoping that, say, Rhodium will take me to task, for better or for worse, on each little piece - 'cause I try to avoid trusting theory 'less I have to.

acetylene + chlorine -> acetylchlorine : + 4-OH-T -> 4-Ac-T

This is what preservative dreams could be made from. You could clean up your psilocin to something as stable as psilocybin. The 4-HO compounds degrade rapidly in exposure to air, the phosphate form gives psilocybin an outstanding shelf life. It can't be this easy? If we use 4-HO-T in the isopropyl radical method instead of T, the Cl will probably instigate degradation, actually looks like a "polymerization" of two molecules at the 4 position, but maybe the acetyl form could hold out?

Hmm... that's a thought, and a damn good one at that.  Me, I was all certain, 'till now, that one had to diisopropylate the amine before the 4-hydroxylation... but if one was already sitting there with a 4-acetyl-tryptamine (something I'd like to eat once, anyways), it could very damn well be safe!

Thanks for the point!  BTW, off the top of your head, what would you expect CFl4 + 5-OH-T -> 5-Fl3MeO-T to do when eaten?

...just curious.  :)  'fraid I gotta go, now, though...

Rev. Psi Locybe, insane alchemist.

hest

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2002, 03:54:00 PM »
I think this is the only way

Salicylaldehyde is not hard to get neither is bromoacetic acid ore sodiumazide

some refs.
Synth. Comm. 1992 2077-2102 AND 1995 186-188 ( the indole synth)
Synthesis 1999 935-938 (4-acetoxy-DMT)
J.Med.Chem. 2000 4701-4710 (another ex. Of the indole synth.)

And after this it is all ala Shulgin (oxalylchloride and your favorit alkylamine)

terbium

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2002, 02:35:00 AM »
I think that this is a very nice 4-oxyindole synth. This procedure uses not very exotic reagents and gives very good yields.

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv7p0034