Author Topic: Juniper virginiana for Safrole- anyone try?  (Read 2318 times)

Bubbleplate

Juniper virginiana for Safrole- anyone try?
« on: May 27, 2002, 06:26:00 PM »
After reading the "Safrol Tek", I see that it says Juniper virginiana leaves have 11% safrole, 6%
isosafrole. A friend of mine has access to unlimited amounts of Juniper virginiana leaves and was thinking that IPA extract might be the way to go. Has anyone actually tried this and with what results? (no theory here; real experiences only)

demorol

Steam distillation
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2002, 11:36:00 AM »
Use steam distillation to isolate essential oil and then vacuum distill the oil to get pure safrole. 11% is not much so you will have to distill huge amounts of leaves to get the desired amount of safrole.

Life without chemistry would be a mistake.

kid_trippin

hmmmm.... 11% eh?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2002, 05:10:00 PM »
The leaves are not 11% safrole by volume/weight or anything.  That would be nice wouldn't it?  The extracted essential oil is ~11% safrole.  I would look into how much oil can be extracted from the leaves.  It's usually only ~1-3% oil by weight.  That would calculate out to be ALOT of distilling.  If your friend has the time and has an extremely large farm of the stuff, maybe after a weeks work he could get a liter of safrol if he knows what he's doing.

Resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.

Osmium

I'd rather do a solvent extraction first, and ...
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2002, 12:31:00 AM »
I'd rather do a solvent extraction first, and steam distill the left over extract. Having access to a rotovap will greatly speed things up and help to keep solvent amounts down.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.