Author Topic: A storage question  (Read 2004 times)

Hematite

A storage question
« on: October 21, 2002, 10:58:00 PM »
I have to admit to not having laboured through the F.S.E. prior to posting this, and I have no excuse to offer other than......I really didn't want to.....dont hate me I'm really busy right now:)
I do wish to know however what is considered a good method for the storage of a quantity of freshly made and recrystalised Phenyl-2-nitropropene. At present it is in dry crystal form as indicated. Thanks folks.

Regards, Hematite.

Rhodium

Stability
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 02:28:00 AM »
The original literature from 1950 states that the compound cannot be stored, and that it will turn into a black mush in a few weeks, but I have no idea about what they were doing wrong, as I have personally seen phenyl-2-nitropropene (recrystallized from IPA until lemon yellow and free from benzaldehyde smell) which was stable for several years at room temp in a sealed container. 

As to repent for your failure to use the search engine, could you please post a detailed writeup with amounts and yield of your synthesis of the above compound, as I think the procedure for making as pretty crystals as yours above definitely would suit my page.

Parkinson

smell of nitropropenes
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2002, 10:11:00 AM »
Do the pure nitropropenes have a smell by themselves?

Rhodium

Yes - be careful when smelling them though - ...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2002, 07:40:00 PM »
Yes - be careful when smelling them though - should you inhale some dust, the pain of having nitropropenes on the mucous membranes in your nose will have your eyes watering.

GC_MS

pain
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2002, 07:48:00 PM »
Yes - be careful when smelling them though - should you inhale some dust, the pain of having nitropropenes on the mucous membranes in your nose will have your eyes watering.

When SWiM performed his first benzaldehyde + nitroethane reaction ever, he spilled some crystals on his skin. There weren't many crystals, you could count them on one hand. But the itch... aaargh, still drives him nutts when he thinks about it. A large red rash and alot of itching... Ever since, SWiM always wears gloves when handling nitrostyrene crystals.
SWiM has several nitrostyrenes in his "collection". They are stored at a temperature slightly less then room temperature, kept away from light and protected from moisture. The only nitrostyrene he encountered problems with was the 3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl-2-nitropropene. The colour changed within a couple of weeks.

geh in die knie. wackle mit den hueften. klatsch in die haende. und tanz den mussolini.

Hematite

Thanks kids, now I know how I'll proceed.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2002, 01:54:00 AM »
Thanks kids, now I know how I'll proceed.
As for the writeup exchange for that search engine avoidance syndrome of mine..........seriously young fella I would do little to enhance anything already written on your page, and only alert all to the hit and miss methods old Hematite uses with the little knowledge he does have, then when all is said and done you would no doubt expect yield to be calculated and stated.....urgghhhh, I never did understand how that worked and frankly never really wanted the truth for fear of falling short of the average numbers yet again!!  hehehhe
I'll see what I can make up that sounds believable and let you fill in the hazy bits and add some neat words ok.

Regards, Hematite.