Author Topic: iodine tincture to I2 reduction screw up, HELP -lil pink  (Read 2506 times)

dormouse

iodine tincture to I2 reduction screw up, HELP -lil pink
« on: April 22, 2000, 10:55:00 PM »

the Hive BB
  Novel Discourse
  iodine tincture to I2 reduction screw up, HELP before I wake up,PLEASE!!

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   iodine tincture to I2 reduction screw up, HELP before I wake up,PLEASE!! 
lil pink
Member   posted 03-27-99 02:24 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
during a dream about "got gas no way" by cuzined from 1-28-99 everything was pretty clear except for the part for I2 (searched and searched for several hours until ready to scream and confused as hell). 5 bottles
of iodine tincture evaporated slowly on low setting until no more liquid and crystals form, let cool, scrape from bowl (water bath and pyrex bowl), then added small amount of sulfuric acid with stirring and let sit for a few,filtered using vaccuum and proceeded with dream. HONEY LOST. tried again,even went shopping for alternate source of iodine with no luck,HONEY LOST AGAIN !!! looking for any bees who can chase my nightmares away before i wake up
thankx,
lil-pink

Entropy
Member   posted 03-28-99 04:01 AM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First off...using iodine tincture to gain I2 is not an effective method, meaning, it takes TONS of tincture to make enough I2 for your needs. Buy some KI or NaI.
The procedure for making I2 from KI or NaI is the same, however, as making it from tincture, somewhat.

With tincture, first evaoprate all the ALCOHOL from the tincture. DO NOT let everything evaporate. Pour it into a pyrex pie plate and sit it in front of a fan to vap the alcohol. Once alcohol is gone, acidify the remaining solution by adding 10% HCL to get pH around 2-3. Then add 35% H2O2(hydrogen peroxide) to the acidified solution. I2 should precipitate out immediately. Filter and purify by sublimation. Check some of my other recent posts for sublimation details.

KI of NaI is processed similarly. Dissolve KI in 10% HCl. Then add 335% H2O2. I2 will ppt out.

WEAR GLOVES AND COVER WORK AREA WITH NEWSPAPER OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!

All times are CT (US)
 next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
    Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:General DiscussionAcquisition DiscourseChemistry DiscourseMethods DiscourseNovel DiscourseCrystal MethSerious Chemistry ForumThe Hive CouchSerious Tryptamine DiscourseAdmin Chill-out TentList of Archives:Couch ArchivesClassics!Law and OrderThe litter box.misc. PEAs  

Contact Us | the Hive