Author Topic: Bromination of 2CH w/ KBr+H2O2+H2SO4  (Read 1898 times)

ChemMang

Bromination of 2CH w/ KBr+H2O2+H2SO4
« on: October 29, 2003, 06:08:00 AM »
SWIM used 4g 2CH in 4g GAA, mixed in seperate beaker 5.71g KBr, 4.7g H2SO4 chilled and slowly added w/ icebath 18g H2O2 3% Aqueous mixture (SWIM thinks that was a BIG NO NO)...anyhow let this chill and sit for a while w/ magstirrer for a while.  the solution is now blackish bromine dark brown and stinks of acid/bromine.  perhaps I SWIM should chill and see if anything precipitates from this mess of a synth.  Anyhow lemme know whatcha bees think. Thanks in advance
-Fu

amine

try using a more concentrated solution of H2O2
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 07:40:00 AM »
try using a more concentrated solution of H2O2 the next time you do the iodination.  Try freezing it to see if u get any crystals. Good luck (not exactly sure how u would go about seperating the 2CH from the 2CB)

I am sure someother bee is more skilled.

ChemMang

Success
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 12:49:00 AM »
SWIM used Bandil the Bromine Bandit's advice and attempted w/o Br2 an rxn involving GAA+H2SO4+KBr+H2O2+2CH... Well what i didnt mention above it that
SWIM added a buncha epsom salts to the water H2O2 and was able to deaquify it quite a bit which SWIM imagines helped in the rxn.  Thanks again to Bandil true warrior against ignorant pigs/associates!

Oxygen

2C-B/2C-H info
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 11:20:00 AM »
2C-B HBr is soluble in water but not very soluble in GAA.  I don't know how soluble 2C-H HBr is in GAA or water.  2C-B HCl is hardly water soluble, while 2C-H HCl dissolves easily in water.  Forming the HCl salts in aqueous solution makes separating them easy.  Does anyone know what solvent might be used for recrystalization of 2C-B HCl?

Rhodium

Recrystallization of 2C-B.HCl
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 05:07:00 PM »

amine

Proceedure
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 04:20:00 AM »
Does anyone seem to have the proceedure for this reaction using the KBr salt? (ie specifics for successful brominationa..etc) Swim has been searching (manually) and is unable to find it. Also what are the yields like compare to elemental bromine?

thx.

Swim is also wondering about the oxone, swim about an 1lb of  oxone sitting around however swim, finds that neither the oxone nor the sodium bromide dissolve in the Methanol...