Author Topic: Zealot's Synthesis of Ketamine  (Read 1990 times)

bbeeasheets

Zealot's Synthesis of Ketamine
« on: April 15, 2004, 01:52:00 AM »
in reference to

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/ketamine2.html

Getting ready to attempt my first ketamine synth. (actually first illicit drug synth) i have a few questions. in step 2 it talks about making o-bromo-benzonitrile instead of o-chlorobenzonitrile. it says to use o-Br-benzamide. can this be made from first step with cuprous bromide instead of cuprous cloride? second question... can i just sub the o-bromo-benzonitrile into step 8 or does other changes need to be made?

thanks

ning

wow
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 04:30:00 AM »
I certainly hope this is not your first synthesis....

You could probably sub the o-bromo in step 8.
But then, you could just use benzamide/benzonitrile. And it would be a unique analog. And LEGAL. And maybe even more potent. I would certainly be interested to hear the bioassay...especially the qualitative differences. Did you read the PCP SAR doc on Rhodium's website?

Best, ning.

bbeeasheets

ketamine
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 04:05:00 PM »
Well its not my first synth. I have had 2 years of org and an independant lab.... long time ago though. Whats so scary about this synth? I realize grignards are difficult but I have successfully synthed it at least a dozen times. Is this synth doable if I have all the precursors and required equiptment?

weedar

weird question
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 09:45:00 PM »
Is this synth doable if I have all the precursors and required equiptment?

What else would you need?
Someone else has already performed it and you seem to have
some lab experience. I guess you won't really know until
you try. :)

ning

It's not the grignard
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 10:35:00 PM »
just....ugh....it's so long. Lots of distilling, extracting, stuff like that. Do you have methylamine? Have you ever tried ketamine before? Wouldn't it bee cool to make a K analog? Just in ning's mind, the possibility of both simplifying a procedure, and obtaining a novel never-before-tasted-but-really-likely-to-be-active analog is exciting. You're a lucky bee to have a properly equipped labspace. I hope you can make some use of it to perform some real experimentation.... :)
I guess you won't know if it'll work until you try. I'm definitely interested in bioassay results, though.

If you can run the synth right once, then compare o-chloro K (i.e. ketamine) to the o-bromo, o-iodo, o-methyl, and o-nothing analogs. Then do some amine replacement. N-methyl (K), N-ethyl (like tiletamine), N-isopropyl, N-piperidyl (if you can git it). At that point, you will bee ready to write a small CiHKAL.

It's an addiction, this chemistry thing. 8)

bbeeasheets

step 2 part B
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »
Yes it is long....but i like that. Like the challenge. Anyways, I assumed that the second prep (o-bromo-benzonitrile) was a replacement for the first. In otherwords that I could take the product (o-bromo-benzonitrile) instead of o-chlorobenzonitrile and use it in step 8 to still arrive at K? not an analog like o-bromo k. Was I mistaken? Please if anyone is certain on this let me know, by pm .. reply or flame ... whatever.

Thanks

bbeeasheets

methylamine
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 11:08:00 PM »
also i was planning on sything MA from Chemhacks synth of methylamine (hexamine-HCL)

Rhodium

bromine is bromine and chlorine is chlorine
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 02:00:00 AM »
Anyways, I assumed that the second prep (o-bromo-benzonitrile) was a replacement for the first. In otherwords that I could take the product (o-bromo-benzonitrile) instead of o-chlorobenzonitrile and use it in step 8 to still arrive at K? not an analog like o-bromo k. Was I mistaken?

The o-bromobenzoic acid is made like the o-chlorobenzoic acid, but substituting the CuCl for an equimolar amount of CuBr.

The use of o-bromobenzonitrile in step 8 will not produce actual ketamine, but the very close analog with a bromine atom where ketamine has a chlorine.