Author Topic: methylamine aquisition  (Read 3332 times)

dickdastardly

methylamine aquisition
« on: October 19, 2001, 06:34:00 PM »
Just a quick question all of ya'll I'm looking to perform a catalytic hydrogenation with methyl amine and would like to know what it is used for OTC

terbium

Re: methylamine aquisition
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2001, 06:49:00 PM »
Not much if any OTC uses, mainly used for making drugs. Because of this, and since it is easy to make, most people make it.

I believe that I have, once here, seen someone suggest that it may be used in taxidermy.

Phosphole

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
According to my Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary (11th edition), methylamine uses are:

intermediate for accelerators, dyes, pharmaceuticals, insecticides, fungicides, surface active agent, tanning, dyeing of acetate textiles, fuel additive, polymerization inhibitor, component of paint removers, solvent, photographic developer, rocket propellent.

And Hawley doesn't lie.

terbium

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
According to my Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary (11th edition), methylamine uses are:

intermediate for accelerators, dyes, pharmaceuticals, insecticides, fungicides, surface active agent, tanning, dyeing of acetate textiles, fuel additive, polymerization inhibitor, component of paint removers, solvent, photographic developer, rocket propellent.

And which of these would be an OTC use? The rocket propellant perhaps?

Agent_Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2001, 10:52:00 PM »
No I doubt the rocket propellant angle would be OTC.  OTC rocket motors are black powder, I suspect that methylamine comes into play with real rocket prollenats ala hydrazine.

blah blah blah something clever blah blah blah

terbium

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2001, 11:15:00 PM »
We need an explicit sarcasm icon. The closest we seem to have is " ;) " but I doubt that this would be quite explicit enough.

Unobtainium

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2001, 11:18:00 PM »
I usually use  :P  

Free Spitball.

terbium

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2001, 11:22:00 PM »
For tongue-in-cheek ? The only thing is that it also looks like "Mr. Yuck".

Quicksilver

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2001, 05:02:00 AM »
Was there not a bee who used Mr Yuck as his image recently?   Can't remember who....

dickdastardly

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2001, 09:56:00 PM »
AHEMM people can you just maybe stick to the subject

encopo

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2001, 11:11:00 PM »
methylamine can be made by various methods, since there
are very little legitimate reasons for needing it, and
no real OTC sources.

Check out rhodium's site, and read what zwitterion (may he
rest in peace) has to say on the matter. Methylamine is
a VERY useful substance in many reactions, and a stockpile
would be nice.

Don't mind me. I'm mentally ill.

Bozakium

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2001, 08:07:00 AM »
There are legal ways for the layman to purchase REAL rocket propellants.

PrimoPyro

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2001, 04:02:00 PM »
Is that a joke?????

Im sorry, when someone says "real" rocket propellants, I think of high grade shit: chilled hydrazine and dinitrogen tetroxide, for example.

If you can get these reagents, PM me and tell me how!

PrimoPyro

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche! STRIKE For President!

PrimoPyro

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2001, 04:04:00 PM »
Jesus, the things I'd give for half a kilo of nitronium tetraflouroborate......

[drooooooooooooooooooooooooool]

Vivent Longtemps la Ruche! STRIKE For President!

uemura

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2001, 07:43:00 PM »
Buying Hydrazin is less a problem than buying DMS or LAlH4. At least for Euro-Bees.

Solvent_Flash

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2001, 09:15:00 PM »
That Hydrazoic acid synth is CRAZY sounding to say the least, so much to do!..... Just get the damn Hexamine, and hydrolize it with your HCl and Methanol. This will give you your desired chem, methylamine, PLUS a crop of Ammonium Chloride which you can save and use  to hydrolize other shit in the near future!! Peeeece(of Hash)Don't pyro technicians use methylamine for big explosions at rawk shows? (seem to remember  reading a post by a pyro tech once about that and the hexamine synth.

PS: Hexamine is some smelly sheeeit, wear a lab coat and gloves, OR smell like a Hasting's Street alley, your choice...

BOOM!

terbium

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2001, 10:21:00 PM »
That Hydrazoic acid synth is CRAZY sounding to say the least, so much to do!..... Just get the damn Hexamine, and hydrolize it with your HCl and Methanol. This will give you your desired chem, methylamine, PLUS a crop of Ammonium Chloride which you can save and use  to hydrolize other shit in the near future!! Peeeece(of Hash)Don't pyro technicians use methylamine for big explosions at rawk shows? (seem to remember  reading a post by a pyro tech once about that and the hexamine synth.

PS: Hexamine is some smelly sheeeit, wear a lab coat and gloves, OR smell like a Hasting's Street alley, your choice...

Ahh, lovely, another moron who thinks that anyone would be interested in his babbling.

shorts

Methylamine and Nitromethane
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2002, 11:02:00 AM »
Does anyone know how these two would react?  For instance using Methylamine as an additive to the RC Fuel?  As a fuel additive would that give better performance to your model car?  I hope someone can see where I am going with this.... ;)

terbium

Diesel fuel.
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2002, 04:22:00 PM »
For instance using Methylamine as an additive to the RC Fuel?  As a fuel additive would that give better performance to your model car?
Only perhaps if your model car has a diesel engine. Adding an amine to nitromethane will cause the octane rating to plummet.

Baseline Does Not Exist.

El_Zorro

?Re: For instance using Methylamine as an ...
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2002, 12:47:00 AM »
?

For instance using Methylamine as an additive to the RC Fuel?  As a fuel additive would that give better performance to your model car?
Only perhaps if your model car has a diesel engine. Adding an amine to nitromethane will cause the octane rating to plummet.

Isn't that kind of a good thing?  I thought the octane rating had to do with how much anti-combustion agents they added to the gas.

Who is that masked man?