Author Topic: Synthesis of Toluene-hydroquinone? -psychokitty  (Read 2572 times)

dormouse

Synthesis of Toluene-hydroquinone? -psychokitty
« on: April 25, 2000, 12:04:00 AM »

the Hive BB
  Novel Discourse
  Synthesis of Toluene-hydroquinone?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   Synthesis of Toluene-hydroquinone? 
Synthesis of Toluene-hydroquinone? 
psychokitty
Member   posted 11-04-1999 06:42 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This question is primarily aimed at Rhodium.
Just wondering if the proceedure detailed in an article I found published in JACS vol. 65, 1943, pp.1431-1432 titled "Some Derivatives of Creosol" has any application in the synthesis of 4-methyl-2,5-(dimethoxy) allylbenzene, a potential precursor to DOM.

Basic outlined scheme is as follows:

1. Formation of the benzaldehyde from the methoxy-hydroxy benzene.

2. Conversion of aldehyde via the Clemmensen reduction into the hydroxy-methoxy-toluene.

3. Formation of the methoxy-methyl allyl-phenol ether from the hydroxy-methoxy-toluene and allylbromide.

4. Claisen rearrangement of the methoxy-methyl allyl-phenol ether into the allyl-hyroxy-methoxy-methyl-benzene.

5. Methylation of the phenolic group to form the desired allyl-dimethoxy-methyl-benzene.

Don't know if I generallized the shit out of my intermediates to where no one can imagine what they look like, but I did my best.

Rhodium, would this work?

--PK

psychokitty
Member   posted 11-04-1999 06:48 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is fucked up. I was originally going to name the thread as it presently is, but then through the course of writing the contents of it, I knew that such a title made no sense so I decided to rename the thread "Synthesis of 4-Methyl-1-(2,5 dimethoxy)-allylbenzene" but I forgot to make the modification.
Sorry.

--PK

Rhodium
Administrator   posted 11-06-1999 07:12 PM          
Yes, that sounds like a viable idea. Try it!

All times are CT (US)
 next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
    Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:General DiscussionAcquisition DiscourseChemistry DiscourseMethods DiscourseNovel DiscourseCrystal MethSerious Chemistry ForumThe Hive CouchSerious Tryptamine DiscourseAdmin Chill-out TentList of Archives:Couch ArchivesClassics!Law and OrderThe litter box.misc. PEAs  

Contact Us | the Hive