Author Topic: Best way to start  (Read 1904 times)

zorg1u8

Best way to start
« on: August 07, 2003, 08:16:00 AM »
Hi,
I want to know what will be the best way to start in the beautiful and complex world of drug chemistry. I really want to understand how drug work and how synthesis work.

thanks

jrfoxxx1

get some books
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 08:52:00 AM »
get some general chem textbooks, and use chem links in the faq, and just study, study, study, and read up on the proceedures for the simpler synths in the forums and understand not just how to make something, but why it is done the way it is. try do understand what your doing, dont just follow a recipe.

zorg1u8

Do you have an idea of wich synthesis will be...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 10:00:00 AM »
Do you have an idea of wich synthesis will be the simplest to start?

thanks

Xicori

if you can get your hands on gamma ...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 10:16:00 AM »
if you can get your hands on gamma Butyrolactone that would be a good synth to start with!

you can try to extract ephedrine from pills, or alkaloids from plant material, etc etc...

all you need is to reed a lot and gain experience

zorg1u8

that's a good idea i never think to extract...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 11:07:00 AM »

Xicori

the main thing in becoming a chemist is to...
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 01:19:00 PM »
the main thing in becoming a chemist is to look things up for yourselfe! -> so UTFSE!!

akdov

if you are interested...
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »
if you are interested in how drugs work you could try reading the book 'pills, potions, poisons; how drugs work'. quite a good read.

technology

where to start?
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 11:01:00 PM »
As the others have metioned,

For starters get chem books on the basics, it is important that you have a good understanding of the different rxn's and so on.

Also, once you have a good understanding of rxn's and how to setup equipment, you then can begin to search for synths that you perhaps have interest in." :P The best place to start is the HIVE" for illicit that is" There are thousands of practical organic chem books out there with thousands of practicals.

As by having a good understanding of how things work and setup,it will help you with concept of the synth.

check these sites out:

http://www.chemhelper.com

http://www.chem.cuhk.edu.hk/labtech/index.asp

these are great compliments of Rhodiums multimedia sect"

this took a couple of minutes there are shits loads of info on the web.'

just search all the best... :P

zorg1u8

LSA Extraction
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »
I think I will start with LSA Exraction but I have somes questions. First, I read The Recrystallization and A/B general info from MadMAX and they said that most alkaloid are soluble in non-polar solvent but I also read a lot of thing on LSA Extraction and they said that LSA are soluble in polar solvent so I want to know why LSA are'nt soluble in non-polar solvent like many other drug and what are the other alkaloid that are soluble in polar solvent. And last question, if LSA is soluble in polar solvent does it mean that I have to invert the A/B process?

thanks

zorg1u8

Okay sorry I understand my mistake I have to...
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2003, 09:06:00 AM »

wolfx

Rhodium site
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 02:38:00 PM »
Case you don't know this one yet, take a look at the Rhodium site :

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry

I suggest you study everything well, then post, ask questions and plan carefully before trying anything.

technology

I also suggest..!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 08:18:00 PM »
I also suggest.." the same.

Make sure you search real hard as i have learned. people do not like basic Questions, as i know you consider them otherwise, you must refrain from the hive: untill you are certain that there is nothing elsewhere.

BEFORE POSTING.

all the best

abolt

My best advice
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2003, 08:25:00 PM »
Avoid everything with the word "Ghetto" in it.

ScuzZ

Beginners
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2003, 05:21:00 AM »
Swim would recommend to any beginner that the easiest or more so simplest to begin with would be LSA extraction..

There's no hard to get or very difficult to obtain utensils.. It's pretty easy to find Hawiian baby seeds or Morning Glory seeds..

Chewbacca

avoid
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2003, 05:38:00 AM »
"Avoid everything with the word "Ghetto" in it."

thats good advice, but thats not saying that you cant use "ghetto" stype equipment for well documented non-ghetto-procedures!  :)