Author Topic: swim was wonder where would one beable to get ethe  (Read 1603 times)

EvilMadChemist

swim was wonder where would one beable to get ethe
« on: November 10, 2003, 10:25:00 AM »
swim was wonder where would one beable to get ether . and is pure ether better then Patroleum Ether?

methyl_ethyl

Sorry
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 10:33:00 AM »
Sorry, the Search Engine will help you with finding ways of sourcing obtainable ether.  And the search enginge will also help you out with understanding the differences between Pet ether and ether.

good luck,

m_e

EDIT:  Oh yes, and be sure to post in the correct forum, there is an acquisition forum, Chemicals and Equipment: Construction of lab equipment, sourcing and extraction of chemicals

Relux

I'll answer you anyway, just for simplicity
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 02:29:00 AM »
Sometimes the search engine is just tedious as FUCK, so instead of it taking you hours to find all the info you need, I'll just give it to you. But you did post in the wrong forum.
The only good source of ether that I know of is from engine starter fluid, that you can find in an auto parts store, and maybe from your school's biology or chemistry lab ;) .
Another way to get ether is by distilling anhydrous ethanol (ethanol distilled azeotropically with toluene or a multitude of other binary, or tertiary azeotropic mixtures), and then taking this very dry ethanol and distilling it with sulfuric acid. You can look at how here:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/ethyl.ether.html

But why the fuck use crappy ass dangerous ether, instead of the many easy to get nonpolar (NP) solvents that are readily available? Though, I do realize, that sometimes a very specific solvent can be necessary.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Petroleum ether is totally different than what is usually called ether (and is truly ethyl-ether). They do the same thing in that both are non-polar solvents. The petroleum ether is a mixture of relatively short chained aliphatic hydrocarbons, much like coleman fuel, naptha, hexane etc. Try looking these types of things up in the Merck index and organic chemistry textbooks at your local library, and you will learn much more than you can get out of the sinical bastards here at the hive.
Oops, one last thing. The mixture of crap in the can of enginestarter needs to be fractionally distilled to get reasonable ethylether.

EvilMadChemist

swim says oh ok , thanx for the info.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 04:47:00 AM »
swim says oh ok , thanx for the info.

Gringo

hmmm.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2003, 07:13:00 PM »
i posted this long ago in a diffrent Forum, but maybee its good... (Whats good on Ether selfmade??)
But anyway, its dangerous, too:

http://www.seilnacht.tuttlingen.com/Chemie/ch_ether.htm

chilly_willy

hmmm...
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 02:19:00 AM »
Need ether for a synth or extraction of LSA?  Im not trying to be an ass but your question(s) reveals a bit about your immediate knowledge of clandestine chemistry.  FYI: LSA or LSD is NOT the place to start in your endeavors.  Once again just trying to help here..not put down.  Start by going to one of your local college chem libraries and reading everything until your brain hurts and you recognize the bindings on the books your interested in when you return...many times.  But for now I will stop ranting and return to your original question.  Diethyl Ether is not a friendly substance to produce or play around with.  Luckily with appropriate knowledge and understanding it can be procured (and used) cheaply and easily for clandestine use.  First, you can obtain it dirt cheaply in starter fluid..separate it from the petroleum distillates its contaminated with through standard distillation (with appropriate ventilation/glassware and no sparks).  Then, to get it anhydrous (u want that I would assume) you can reflux it for a while with sulfuric acid, and very carefully fractionally distill it w/a kjeldahl trap and column.  Once prepared use it quickly and store properly as it will be rendered unhydrous and possibly highly explosive after a given time.  If you dont understand what I have just wrote...keep reading!  Welcome to the wonders of organic chemistry!   ;)

morpheus

ether
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 01:43:00 PM »
if one looks long enough and goes to enough auto stores
you will find one company that makes starter fluid without
upper cylinder lube.Swim did but he never used it as was
said there are safer and easier to work with N.P.'s.

midway

FYI: LSA or LSD is NOT the place to start in...
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 12:57:00 AM »
FYI: LSA or LSD is NOT the place to start in your endeavors.
Whats so hard about extracting LSA from Woodrose? A newbee could do that.

terbium

Ether is not Petroleum Ether.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 02:00:00 AM »
and is pure ether better then Patroleum Ether?
Petroleum ether and (diethyl) ether are two very different solvents. The LSA procedure probably calls for petroleum ether. Petroleum ether is like lighter fluid. Find some lighter fluid that doesn't leave a residue when it evaporates and use this in place of petroleum ether.