Author Topic: The ephedra cure  (Read 16663 times)

The ephedra cure
« on: July 28, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
SWIC has noticed that alot of bees overcomplicate things... why not go the simple route if it works just as well? SWIC has devised a simple way of cleaning ephedra that works for him. It should also work well for any newbees out there. The ephed/pseudoephed you get from this method is clean eneough for a red rxn, though SWIC prefers birching it.

---------------------------------------------------
THE EPHEDRA CURE by CLEANsanchez/18294

July 2004
---------------------------------------------------

Make sure plant material is in a fine powder form. Take your favorite dry, nonpolar solvent and apply liberally.

let soak.

decant NP/ dispose of.

let ephedra powder dry

add dry denatured alcohol to dry powder.

let soak.

decant off alcohol.

put through a home made activated charcoal column, or a brita water filter.

repeat if necessary.

evap alcohol and see nice little ephedrine/pseudoephedrine crystals.

rxn time!

Offline CooksHelper

• Larvae
Re: The ephedra cure
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:13:51 AM »
Hey there guys little off track but what do u bees think of his garden gnomes extract dream. Sounds duable but swim doesn't have much mu huang, using I think pound, and maybe 1/4 of another pound. A simple 50 gram MeOh extract with multiple washes. Then some sodium carbonate: 1\3 of plant matter, and 2/3 KOH. Placed on a direct stirring mantle and heated. Using a simple distallion apparatus, with a 1000 ml 2 neck rbf with a comeriacl steamer, for laundry modify like the dwarjet. A 1.5 hr distill to a degree in range of 95c for first 30 minutes, now decent amount of steam is coming over to collection flask.  Slowly ramping it up to 135c,  but never higher than 150c. Swim would like any given advise on this for swim wants to do the whole one pound and retire for awhile, also he was told by the chief of gnomes that possibly do a xylene wash with light boil prior too, and after. Then a mek clean before a final water wash would this provide anything close to pure white e. Swim needs a nice not rude teacher. Since swich has had personal experience  with, being told he was wrong when he wasn't listened to, for fact he didn't know  proper vocabulary on it,  but was told by swicm235 that was right. He was a rude one but still is swich favorite turd and thanks swicm235 for a many a good days tracking through the fog with the last band of Romany gypsies on Eastern seaboard
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:25:15 PM by CooksHelper »

Offline Zippy

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 09:09:32 AM »
Dood you ever hear of periods?  The little dots that go at the end of a sentence. 

Offline likeiam

• juvenille HUND / please like me, i'm cute
  • Pupae
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:50:34 AM »
I'm sorry bout that, do u think it is possible solution tho. I am sleepy was falling asleep at keyboard. I would love ur opion on the matter of course if u could share ur knowledge.
don't want to sound like a dick here, but if you really would love to hear the guys opinion about your question, maybe respect his request to add periods between the sentences in your original post? there's this nifty edit button, which you can use to, um, edit your post
the poolice - taking the p out of leisure

Offline ricky

• Pupae
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 07:35:18 PM »
A simple 50 gram MeOh extract with multiple washes. Then some sodium carbonate: 1\3 of plant matter, and 2/3 KOH

I don't understand what 2/3 KOH means, or what this has to do with sodium carbonate, or why you would be adding either of those in the first place. Unless you are just trying to get the freebase to distill it? I still don't see the reason to add both.

If you are looking for a procedure to extract ephedrine (either one or both isomers) you probably want to do a proper acid-base alkaloid extraction and use a suitable non-polar to extract the FB after adjusting to an alkaline pH. I'd also recommend adding the polar step in there when acidified, either before or after (depending if you want the salt or FB).

Here is a reference:

http://www.jbc.org/content/70/1/109.full.pdf