Author Topic: Nitroethane red. via Zinc (Cat) and Amm. Formate  (Read 2227 times)

amine

Nitroethane red. via Zinc (Cat) and Amm. Formate
« on: October 28, 2003, 10:45:00 PM »
Hi,

I was looking at

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/nitro2amine.zn-formate.html

where nitropropane was reduced using activated Zinc and Ammonium Formate. I know in Beakers 2CB synthesis something similar is used except the catalyst is Pd/C.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to use a nitroethane (a reduced nitrostyrene in my case)  in place of the nitropropane?

2. If I were to use Potassium Formate instead of Ammonium formate would I have to adjust the amount the formate salt that would be added?

3. If the proceedure at the bottom the page is scaled up, at what temperature should I keep the reaction at?  (like a 10x scale up).

Thank You for any help.

Bandil

1) Yes, and your yields might even go higher,...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 12:31:00 AM »
1)
Yes, and your yields might even go higher, as the nitroethanes, usually are easier to reduce than nitropropanes.

2)
Yes and yes! You can most certanly use potassium formate of even formic acid. AFAIK KCOOH is an even better hydrogen donor than ammonium formate, which is only good in this case.

3)
The temperature should be kept low aswell! Be carefull if you chose to use formic acid, as the reaction is vile.

Regards
Bandil