Author Topic: oils: ml to gram conversion..  (Read 2066 times)

n00dle

oils: ml to gram conversion..
« on: April 01, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »
Oils on the hive are weighed in grams and so forth, but these oils usually come with a liquid measurement such as 5mls, 100mls, 1L, whatever.. How can you do a ml to gram conversion? i'm sure it's not one-to-one because of density i believe? Like water at 0c stp is meant to be 1ml = 1gram, right? but say something like lavender oil which is much heavier than water.. How would you work out how much 1ml of lavender oil would weigh or something?

GC_MS

d
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »

biffman

Pretty easy conversion
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 12:39:00 AM »
If you have a balance I would just weigh out the amount you need but if you must convert I would assume that you just multipy the mls used by the density (g/ml).  the densities (or specific gravity) of most oils are readily available.

interested

When bee's refer to ratio's whilst discussing...
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 04:45:00 PM »
When bee's refer to ratio's whilst discussing E/I/rP/dH2O reactions (eg. 1 : 1.2 : 0.75 : 0.8 ) is the H2O expressed by weight(g) or by volume(ml)?  Swim's assumption would be that H2O is expressed by weight.  Swim requires an answer mainly concerning posts written by Geezmeister and Osmium.

Thanks   :)

methlab

watch for density of oil...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 03:11:00 AM »
Hi! Search e.g. on

http://chemfinder.cambridgesoft.com/

for the density of your specific compound.
A couple of month ago i wanted to 'measure' the purity of the safrole which i got after fractional distilling my sassafrasoil. I searched the hive for some info and i was told (hope they old me the truth...) that for example the density of Safrole is 1.096 g/cc at 20°C. This means that 1ml of Safrole at 20C has 1.096g. I don't have an expensive scale, that's why i weighted 100ml of my oil, the scale showed 109.5 g . Now i knew that this should be safole. Maybe this helps, greetings

geezmeister

the mass of a volume of water...
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 10:36:00 PM »
The mass of the one milliliter of liquid H20 (probably at 0 C) is one gram, by definition as it were, since no one had any better idea.

XrLeap

volume could be different under different...
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 06:31:00 AM »
volume could be different under different pressure.:)