Author Topic: Condenser  (Read 1777 times)

Elite_Forum

Condenser
« on: March 15, 2004, 04:48:00 AM »
After going over Bright Star's MDMA write up (A very good read I might add) I have to ask a few questions about it.

In the "Equipment Needed" section, it doesn't exactly say what kind of equipment needed. Might sound weird that I know, but let me try to explain.

It says "condenser" but not which kind of condenser. So do I need just a simple air condenser, or a coil condenser for example.

Is one better than the other? Sorry if this sounds simple, but not all of us that visit here have a chemistry background. But we try to learn.

Novice

Any condenser that stops the volatiles from...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 05:03:00 AM »
Any condenser that stops the volatiles from escaping will do. I use either a regular Liebig's condenser or a Allihn condenser, though the former is prefered when distilling and the latter when doing a reflux.

Elite_Forum

SWIM is about to order a condenser for Bright...
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 06:10:00 AM »
SWIM is about to order a condenser for Bright Stars dream; which will have a picture post/write up afterwards. So which would you recommend? Also thanks for the prompt reply.

Rhodium

Think
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 06:33:00 AM »
Get one of each kind, as you are going to perform both distillation and reflux in your procedure.

If you are cheap, then consider the fact that you cannot distill with an Allihn, but you can reflux with a Liebig.

Elite_Forum

I'll get both, money has never been an issue.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 06:34:00 AM »
I'll get both, money has never been an issue. Thanks Rhodium!